Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jason Karol

Sandisk Imagemate Smartmedia USB

Well, looks like the Imagemate Smartmedia USB reader from Sandisk is a no go for the time being under W2000. I bought one yesterday, brought it home, connected it, and found out there are no drivers built into W2000 for it. There are drivers for the compactflash reader, and some other Sandisk products, but not the Smartmedia USB one.

Got an email from Sandisk today saying that W2000 drivers are "in the works" and are due in about 2-4 weeks (namely around the end of March), and they would send me beta drivers if they could (har har), so for now, back to booting over to Win98 for image uploads.

Oh, and in case someone out there may have found a way around it, my vendor/prodid code for the imagemate I own is 781/0200. Just thought I'd let everyone know what I'd heard...

Jay

Did you try the drivers that I sent you? They are version 1.3 from the CD, specifically for Windows 2000 and they work great for me.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 450@504

Soltek SL67B Mobo with 128 mb pc100

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

Yes, I tried the driver you sent, but unfortunately that driver was for the CompactFlash USB reader, not the SmartMedia USB reader. I was meaning to write you with an update and thanks for the effort, but as it turns out, you caught me on here too! :-)

Anyway, good news! I found a way to get it working. Turns out I owe thanks to a writer on an unrelated comment on microsoft.public.win2000.hardware who was mentioning that their Delkin Devices eFilm reader was working great for them under Win2000. Desperate to try anything, I decided to give those drivers a whack.

Guess what? It works! You do have to do a bit of tweaking. Namely, take the Win2000 beta driver from: http://www.delkin.com/dd_support/download/Reader-4_Win2000.EXE

Copy the contents into a working directory. Then, assuming your Imagemate Smartmedia is detected as a vendor 781/prodid 0200 like mine (look around in the registry [carefully!] for the entry under ControlSets to find the detected pair), edit the .inf file to add your reader.

You have to make 2 edits, namely one near the top, and one near the bottom. Copy the existing line for the eFilm USB reader, then modify the ven# and prod# to match what you have, save it, then go through a windows hardware detect and point Win2000 to that directory.

Worked great for me, at least until Sandisk comes out with their official drivers. Thanks for all the help folks!

Jay

Jason - DOH - I missed that you had said Smartmedia Reader! Glad you got it working!

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 450@504

Soltek SL67B Mobo with 128 mb pc100

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

Thanks for the hint! It worked great! I'm extremely annoyed with SanDisk for their latency in releasing Windows 2000 drivers for the USB SmartMedia reader and I had to switch back to Windows 98 (no linux drivers yet either). Thanks again!