Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
evil Homer

What kind of crap is Creative releasing???

Right, after reading in this forum, and in the Creative SB Live newsgroup, I went back to DXDiag and checked my Directsound settings.

After running through the test, it reported that everything was fine with the software buffer, and it THEN tells me that my card doesn't support hardware buffer???

WTF???

What kind of junk has Creative pushed our way. I've had nothing but compatability problems with the Liveware release. Armada sounds terrible, Hidden & Dangerous is pathetic no matter what I set the accleration level too, and Q3A has intermittent sound problems.

Come on Creative, get your god damned act together here!!!!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had problems!!!

evil Homer

------------------

"Screw you guys... I'm going home!"

Don't know why you are having problems, but I have installed the Liveware for W2K and everything works fine for me.

Yeah, sorry.

Just blowing off some steam...

evil Homer

------------------

everything works fine for me as well, but I still don't get Hardware acceleration as far as I know. Can anyone conform that they have hardware accelerated sound?

I ran the test and it only played samples with the message "...from a software buffer." It doesn't even seem to have tried the hardware buffer. How do I force this, or make sure I am trying to test the hardware buffer (and get whatever error message you are seeing if it doesn't work)?

:}

Use the SEARCH feature, i believe you will find topics i have posted about Creative, i am the foremost expert on B1tching about Creative Labs.

Homer, I am with you man. I totally agree. My sound is screwing up bigtime also....q3a, unreal tournament, soldier of fortune, force commander....they are all going out off and on. It really blows. Just thought i would let you know that you are not alone.

Well that is because creative is releasing a 1/2 assed version of live!ware and trying to make us use it. It does suck ass but at least I have EAX and my sound is better than when I was using the live!ware hack.

Hey..let's face it guys: All sound cards suck in win2k. Neither Creative nor Aureal have proper drivers out with full hw acceleration for all features.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with these problems.

Creative have had plenty of time to get this right, but of course... didn't!!!

evil Homer

------------------

I've had no trouble whatsoever. I'm even using the SBlive for proffessional audio recording in win2k with no problems. If anything my sound quality has improved.

You guys who are having problems must not be doing something right because I did a clean install the day the drivers came out and have not a problem since then. My sound works fine with a SB Live card.

I've done 2 clean installs (format C:, even quite against my will, D: and E: =( As a side note, win2k makes (at least with me) an 8mb partition to go with every other partition on a drive.. well, on a clean install i had everything backed up on D: and E:, and win2k reported 8mb 'not allocated' on D: and E:.. so i deleted em.. bout 5 seconds later i remembered the 8mb partitions it had made, D'OH, lost *ALL* my files.. =( Lesson: dont do that.)

Anywho, from a clean-as-the-virgin-marys-child-on-the-day-he-was-born install i immediately installed LW2k off creative's site and then the 5.13 nVIDIA drivers.. Got the crackling, cutting out, etc. That other people got.. wtf?! =(

Is it just me, or.. the leaked liveware drivers worked perfectly fine for me.. anyone still got em layin around? They arent on any of the sites anymore.. =( Email me? gpx69@hotmail.com .. I'll gladly use those, they actually WORKED for me..

System stats:

Abit BP6 w/Celery366(2x) @ 539Mhz (98Mhz bus)

Elsa Erazor X II (GeForce 32MB DDR 6ns SGRAM)

SB Live!

US Robotics 56k Voice PCI modem

Linksys 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

384MB PC-133 SDRAM

------------------

-Da_G

For those of you who say the Live! works perfectly, I have a serious question.

I agree the new drivers allow you to play and record sound, when on the standard acceleration setting, just fine. But then again, so have all the past driver sets...

Our problem is specifically EAX support and hardware buffering, only enabled when setting the hardware acceleration to its full/maximum setting (through the sounds/audio control panel or through dxdiag.exe).

I have yet to hear a single report of EAX working under W2K with these (or any) Live! drivers.

So, when any of you state here that the drivers work great, are you taking into account the full settings, or just the standard default. You'd have to manually enable full acceleration after installation, and test it with a product like Unreal Tournament (with 3D sound specifically enabled) to provide this affirmative to those of us who are griping so loudly. :}

It is indicative of Creative's own lack of faith in these drivers that under W2K they install at standard *by default* whereas all driver sets under W98 install at *full* acceleration.

On my system, a dual boot shows that under w98, EAX etc. works fine, but under W2K it does not.

Thanks,

:}