Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Akash

Modem speeds 200 bytes/s :((

hi again

i have a 3com USR message modem and i noticed ever since yesterday (31st march) download speeds were as low as above 200 bytes/s it would start very fast like 9kb then drop a lot. max i have had is 500b/s and as u can tell i am not pleased! port speeds in ctrl panel are at its highest. I have changed phone leads and also drivers. I tried 3 different ISP's but its the same

Anyone help? please reply back thanx

Did you mess with your registry at all? Install any "Boost" software? Tried any "tweaks". Let us know and we can go from there.

hi

i havnt touched any of the reg. settings

and as far as tweaking

i tried to download tweakdun

but 50b/s its way to slow and keeps timing out

nope no network card either

i formatted already twice

so its not that

Do you have access to a friends modem. You might have a bad modem. They do go bad. Do you have dust in your case? Try "blowing" it out with air and moving it to a different slot. Is this a Win modem? Not too familiar with it. Check your bios also. Maybe you changed somthing there.

nope its external pretty nwe

USR message modem

its not dusty at all

bios was left alone didnt touch it at all

as for network what could it be then?

Did you contact the phone company? Maybe there is line noise now. Since you are trying 3 different ISP then I don't think it could be a network problem because each ISP connection has its own settings and I don't think all 3 could be messed up? But to make sure goto Network and Dial-up connections. Then right click on the connection. Then properties. Then Networking. The make sure only Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is enabled. And make sure only PPP:Windows 95/98/NT4/2000, Interent is shown. Try this but sounds more like a phone line problem with the phone company. When you pick up the phone do you hear static?

network settings are fine

no static on phone either

i have contacted them thres nothing wrong frown

I know it isn't much help but I would suggest exchanging the modem. Maybe the modem got "surged". Only thing I can think of now. If you want an external go for a USB if you have a USB port available. Sorry I couldn't be more help on this one.

sounds to me like your phone line is jacked up. Go check the bridge, make sure the lines aren't badly mangled.

I think that's the prob, if everything else is okay.

hey

phone company is fine

i tried win98 and its fine on there

actually got over 6kb/s which was a record

now what? hehe thx

Clean up your "temporary files" in Internet Explorer. I was told by Earthink that this will slow things down alot. Right click on Internet Explorer Icon and then Delete Temporary Internet files. Might take a while. Also clear your history. Then goto advanced and restore defaults. Let me know if this helps. If not I got more and more suggestions.

nope lol it didnt work

as i said i had formatted and so there would be nothing there but still its slow

i used to have a huge temp folder but it never gave me 50b/s

thx

Is this a serial modem or usb modem? Goto system..device manager...then ports (com&lpt) then click on the port your modem is on. Then Port Settings. Make sure bits per second is 115200, Data bits 8, parity none. Stop bits 1 and flow control Hardware. Then advance and make sure Use Fifo is checked and everything is max. This is pissing me off just as much as you. rrrrr