Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr0cl1v1ty

WPN111 linux help?

ok...first of all i know this has been asked but all in all they have had slightly different issues than me....i have the wpn111 usb netgear and i dont have linux drivers...i dont even know what ndsiwrapper thign is...and when i log into backtrack it just doesnt want to find the usb network card....but it will work in windows and it will show up in the usb port list in backtrack 3 help anyone? thanks alot!

Since you have also posted MULTIPLE TIMES on the Backtrack Forum, I suggest that you wait for an answer from that forum. This card is not listed by users as a card that they have gotten to work. Your chances of finding someone that can respond with helpful advice is better for this Linux distro using their forum. If you do not get an answer, let us know!

Ahh...looks like you got some good responses so far.

i have gotten 0 responses on the BT3 forums and its been almost 2 weeks now.... so i saw activity on here and wondered if anyone could help

I looked on the BT3 forums and saw 4 hits of posts that you made on your own threads (two different ones) and on others already started.

There is no response on your one thread, but there are on the other threads you posted to and your second one that you started. Each thread with responses has information on your card and its status on the Backtrack. On this thread you mentioned that you are trying to hack into someone elses wireless connection. While you have their ¨permission¨ this is still probably not legal. This partially explains why you are getting no responses. One poster responded to you with this point.

Do you have your own wireless connection that you or someone in your household is paying for?

If you look closely to the threads i hijacked them...because i couldnt find the new topic button....if u can please post the link to where they have specificly helped me that would be great...

Do a search on the backtrack forums on wpn11.

You will get 5 hits including the 4 you posted on.

Read the one that is specific on the wpn111.

One poster stated that there are no drivers for this unit.

The WPN11 is a USB dongle, correct? I believe an atheros chipset.

Usually, this chipset is handled by the Madwifi drivers in Linux, but it does not support USB yet, as far as I can tell. So, some tried ndiswrapper, which uses the native Windows drivers to set up the driver for Linux. If you do not have good Linux knowledge, then this can get tricky to set up. Netgear does not have Linux drivers and the native drivers are set in an exe file that needs to be extracted in Windows, or taken from a Windows installation.

On the Backtrack wiki this card is not listed as supported/ found to work by users.

There is another unit that is listed, the NetGear WG111T which has the same chipset. Read this section and get the idea of how complicated it may be to get it working.

If you have security set up on your wireless system, then you also need to set up the ESSID and WEP/WPA key. Understand that in Windows, either the Netgear utility, or Windows itself will prompt you to set up security to the router, if it is present. You need to do the same in Linux.

Bottom line, is that this card has very limited support in Linux, as there are no native drivers available.

In terms of Backtrack, I do not use it, so my help would be limited.

If you decide to tinker with this to get it working, thats great! But, I will not provide further information unless you assure me that you are using your own wireless connection, not trying to use a connection that a neighbor is paying for, as you noted in the BT3 forums.

i ASSURE u it is PERFECTLY legal as i have said it is my neighbors but he is my BEST friend and hes trying to challange me into getting into it we have a deal, but if u decide not to help thanks anyways

To give you an example of what I was referring to, from the Time Warner web page on Cable theft web page

Quote:
WiFi Theft - WiFi theft occurs when someone installs a wireless network in a residence or business location and intentionally enables others to receive broadband service for free over their wireless network.

and from Boston.com Business;

Quote:
Verizon and Comcast subscribers who knowingly share their WiFi connection with a neighbor are violating the terms of their contracts. Verizon, for example, states in its terms of service that its DSL subscribers are not allowed to resell broadband service, directly or indirectly, or connect devices outside the subscriber's home. Comcast has similar language in its customer contracts.

Hopefully I have not started a flame!