Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
souldreamer

Debian Problem

Just how long does it sit there?

It should timeout after about 4 minutes... Apt-get update is probably hanging on an out of date mirror string.

It is waiting for DNS timeout, and FTP/HTTP timeout...

Try the "archive.progeny.com "

Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list and put in a set of the following.

For Stable(Woody) use:

deb ftp://archive.progeny.com/debian stable main non-free contrib

deb-src ftp://archive.progeny.com/debian stable main non-free contrib

For Testing(Sarge) use:

deb ftp://archive.progeny.com/debian testing main non-free contrib

deb-src ftp://archive.progeny.com/debian testing main non-free contrib

For Unstable(Sid) use:

deb ftp://archive.progeny.com/debian unstable main non-free contrib

deb-src ftp://archive.progeny.com/debian unstable main non-free contrib

Always good to use these...

For Debian Security use:

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

And for Java:

deb ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/debian woody non-free

The do:

apt-get update

apt-get -u upgrade or apt-get -u dist-upgrade

Follow prompts from there.

Thanks. I found what the problem is... When it boots i have net... Passing some minutes i don't...

I can't ping nothing, only the LAN frown

Please take a look at the file /etc/network/interfaces

Code:
### etherconf DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT BEFORE IT.auto lo eth0iface lo inet loopbackiface eth0 inet static        address 192.168.1.90        netmask 255.255.255.0        gateway 192.168.1.1### END OF DEBCONF AREA.  PLACE YOUR EDITS BELOW; THEY WILL BE PRESERVED.

If you have something like this... then you should be fine... if it is

Code:
### etherconf DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT BEFORE IT.auto lo eth0iface lo inet loopbackiface eth0 inet dhcp        hostname somename### END OF DEBCONF AREA.  PLACE YOUR EDITS BELOW; THEY WILL BE PRESERVED.

If you have something like that... do ifdown eth0 wait a few seconds then do ifup eth0

See if that takes care of the issue. Other than that... without more info on your DHCP server or you "LAN" we can't see into your mind ... though I'd like that ability to read most people's minds.... :x

Quote:
Please take a look at the file /etc/network/interfaces
Code:
### etherconf DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT BEFORE IT.auto lo eth0iface lo inet loopbackiface eth0 inet static        address 192.168.1.90        netmask 255.255.255.0        gateway 192.168.1.1### END OF DEBCONF AREA.  PLACE YOUR EDITS BELOW; THEY WILL BE PRESERVED.

If you have something like this... then you should be fine... if it is

i have this correct...
frown

Better:

I installed Debian Woody. i have this pc (Gateway) and a pc in my room connected to a switch (switch connected to this PC). When i make apt-get or when i'm going to see a site, the internet goes down. This PC lan IP is 192.168.0.1, and i putted it as the gateway on the Debian machine. The Debian machine is 192.168.0.2. I configured the DNS also... frown

I have Red Hat in the gateway. When i installed redhat in this pc the network worked perfectly!!!

When i tryed to install gentoo... It didn't worked again. I think the problem is the gateway. 8)