Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
souldreamer

GeForce 4 Debian support

How do i add support for GeForce 4 MX440 in Debian Woody?

When i try to compile NVIDIA drivers, the compiler says the drivers were not compiled with the compiler that came with Debian ;( frownfrown

Add the following in your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://s.bouncybouncy.net/nvidia_debs stable/

Then install the drivers:

apt-get update

apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel

and reconfigure xfree:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

If the drivers are only working for root:

chmod 0666 /dev/nvidia*

chown root /dev/nvidia*

HI, I'm new to Debian, though not particularly new to Linux, but I have less experience with desktop stuff and X than with server stuff. I'm attepting to get nvidia 3d accelleration working on my box, so I can install winex. I downloaded the nvidia-gls and nvidia-kernel packages, and after upgrading my kernel (for other reasons), the kernel module copiles okay, and seems to load okay... and of course the GLX module is just some libs that get installed, so it seemed to go okay.

Now, however I can't run glxinfo or glxgears.. I get a complaint about not being able to open a double buffered RGB something... (sorry I had to dual boot back to XP to do some work.. not ready to do everything from linux yet, though that is my goal)... my question is, should I attempt to install the debs here, or is there some other suggestion about fixing my problem. I'm at a bit of a loss as to how I can tell which piece is not working/not configured right... kernel driver, glx, or something in my XF86config...

Did you make sure to make all the needed changes to your XF86Config(-4) file? You have to make some core changes (like commenting out "dri" and switching the driver from "nv" or "vesa" to "nvidia") to get them to work, plus you have optional settings (such as digital vibrance) that you can make which are listed in there.