Compatible Support Forums
rameses

Step by step instrustions for getting wireless..

..adapter to work? It's: wireless - G

2.4 GHz

Model No. WUSB54G

It's for Kubuntu (it's not yet installed)

Please don't direct me to a page to read, I'd really appreciate personal instruction. smile

Quote:
It's for Kubuntu (it's not yet installed)

What version of Kubuntu are you planning to use?

What exact model number of the WUSB54G do you have? Look on the label on the underside of the unit for the exact version number. This will tell you what chipset is onboard the unit. This will help.

Quote:
Please don't direct me to a page to read, I'd really appreciate personal instruction.

While personal instructions would be nice, why re-write the directions here when someone has already written a guide that we can link you to, for example here? This assumes version 4 of the unit.

Once we know what exactly that you have, then we can go from there. Since you did not?? install Kubuntu yet, how do you know that it does not work yet?

I'm assuming it won't work.. I need to make sure it will before I can no longer ask people on the internet how to do it. wink

Kubuntu Hardy Heron. Though it also may be ubuntu 7.10 gutsy gibbon.

There's no more specific model number. *cry*

Atleast copy and paste the main points. wink

It would be helpful to know the version number, which would allow us to know what the chipset is, so we can tell what steps are needed to get it to work, or if it may work out of the box.

Let's see if Linksys allows a direct link here

If you have Windows already installed, you can install Kubuntu and dual boot, either Windows or Kubuntu, that way you won't need to worry about losing connectivity.

Oh, and I tried it on ubuntu. It said linksys at the top where the connectivity is shown, but I was not on the internet. Ofcourse It's

not installed, I was just running it.

It still would be nice to know what the version number of your card is, as requested. If you look at the link that I provided, on the back of the unit sticker, the model number is listed, as well as the version number. This will be helpful. But if Ubuntu saw the card, the next question is...is the wireless router that you are using a secured connection? Most likely it is (most ISP providers that give you a router have preset values to make it secure).

In Windows, the WUSB54G software guides you in setting up the connection for the router name (ESSID) and the passphrase (password) used to establish a connection to the router from the wireless card, in your case, the WUSB54G.

Of course, since you are using Linux, which the manufacturer does not provide direct support for, you need to know these values to set up in the network connection in Ubuntu manually. If this is the case. you will not connect to the wireless router without these values being set. The setup CD also has the proper drivers for the card/unit and installs them during the installation in Windows. In Linux, we have to make sure that the proper Linux drivers are included.

As each version of Ubuntu/Kubuntu comes out, wireless support generally gets better, which is why I asked what version of Kubuntu that you had. The newer the version of Kubuntu, the better support out of the box.

This assumes that Ubuntu did have the proper Linux drivers installed for your card, hence, the question about the version number that tells us which chipset is being used.

To give a good example, see here.

So, pretty much all I have to do is install the drivers? I could just download them from the internet on to kubuntu/ubuntu? I'm sure I cold hook the computer up with a cord to do that.

OK, let's look at this more closely. I may be confusing you with details.

I may be concentrating on the card version too much, but I have one of these units, which is a WUSB54Gv4 card. The version number is where I told you where it is at. There are three different versions of the card, all with different chipsets.My version has the Ralink chipset and it works in Fedora 9.

However, I needed to configure the ESSID and passphrase in the network manager for my router before it would work. So, it was supported out of the box, as long as I told the network manager what my WEP setup was, the ESSID and passphrase for my router.

Anyway, you noted that Ubuntu noted Linksys on the connectivity tab. That means that it saw it. However, if you have a secure network through the wireless router, Ubuntu does not know about this until you set the values for ESSID and passphrase in the Network Manager. So, no connection, as the router rejects attempts to connect to it unless you add these values in the Network Manager.

Do you know if you have an open or secure wireless network?

If you do not know, what ISP are you using?

I have Verizon Fios. The router is set with WEP encription, and the ESSID and passphrase is on a sticker on the bottom of the router.

Are you going to be using Kubuntu or Ubuntu?

I want to use Kubuntu, but it all depends on if I get the disk or not. I requested one.

If I don't get it, I'll use ubuntu because I have the disk.

My internet service provider is comcast.

So how do I configure ESSID and passphrase?

It depends on what desktop you are using. Kubuntu uses K Desktop and Ubuntu, I believe is Gnome. The specific directions depend on which you are using.

So you did determine that you have a secure network with an ESSID and passphrase? If so, then we can look at it when you are ready to start - when you decide which one you are going to use.

Comcast also has fairly good directions on their support page to allow you to customize your ESSID and passphrase, if you choose to do so.

Just as a note, I fired up my old installation of Kubuntu edgy. My WUSB54G v4 was recognized right off and I was able to configure a live connection.

Again, this was version 4 of the Linksys WYSB54G adapter, which is a ralink chipset. So we know that it works with this specific version of the wireless device.

Could you give me step by step instructions for getting the adpter to work for every model of WUSB54G? It will be Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. The adapter is apparently recognized. It says lynksys up top. But it is not connected to the internet. How do I get connected to the internet?