• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chuo

Chuo

stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:29 PM

i already sync the evolution with the hotmail, and it work perfectly but when i open hotmail without using the evolution there is no email overther, the evolution delete all the emails that i had on the inbox in hotmail, and the only way to see it is on opening the evolution, now i wanna make a partition and install windows vista too and im afraid that something happen with ubuntu and ill lose all my email, how can i recover my email to hotmail??? if i remove evolution what happen with those email???

#2 DosFreak

DosFreak

Carpal Tunnel

• Moderators
  • 3885 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:41 AM

It sounds like your using POP3 instead of IMAP and you didn't select an option opting to keep a copy of your email on hotmail.

It's been forever sinc I used Evolution but I'm sure you can copy the data files containing your email over to the Windows partition or keep the data files on a partition accessible to both operating systems and point Evolution there.

May I ask why your using Evolution instead of Thunderbird? I know for a fact that Thunderbird data files can be easily used between Windows and Linux.

#3 Chuo

Chuo

stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:25 AM

thx for reply, im using evolution cuz when i installed the ubuntu it has the evolution already there, do u know how i can recover those email.. i really dont want to lose them they are like 900 email... frown

if i recover those email ill switch to thunderbird...

#4 Philipp

Philipp

Pooh-Bah

• Administrators
  • 1964 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:52 PM

Unfortunatly, it is not possible to re-import your emails back to Hotmail. However, you can move your emails to Thunderbird.

Evolution and Thunderbird are using the same data format (mbox) for emails. You find a migration guide here: http://www.linux.com/articles/113798

#5 Chuo

Chuo

stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:05 AM

thx for the reply, if i use thunderbird will that erase the new email that i receive to my hotmail??? i guess i need to send some of those email to another account to save them... frown

Thx again for the reply....

#6 Philipp

Philipp

Pooh-Bah

• Administrators
  • 1964 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:22 PM

No, but you need to select the option to leave a copy of the emails on the server.

To doing this in Thunderbird:
Tools => Account Settings => Server Settings => Check "Leave messages on server"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq