Compatible Support Forums
ashleymarieox

sims2 directX problem

okay so i have had this game since it first came out and a couple of weeks ago i played this really old game and i wasn't really paying attention and it siad somthing about having to change a setting to be able to play it for the graphics, when i was done playing that game i wanted to play sims but is came up with a pop up that said that i dont have DirectX 9.0c currently installed on my computer. i did a search of what directX is and it came up with this thing and i did some of the tests and it sad that the 3D part wasn't working. what do i do? i'm lost.

Ok. Have you installed DirectX 9.0c yet?

Have you updated the drivers for your graphics card or chipset?

What graphics card do you have? See Dxdiag or Device Manager to find out.

Have you run DXDIAG tool?

My friend was having this problem too. Her situation was that she bought it in 2005, installed it and it ran fine. Well one day, after running the "oh-so-helpful" Windows updates that seem to always make everything worse, the game stopped loading and delivered the infamous DirectX 9.0c message that so many people are familiar with now. I tried up[censored] DirectX but no luck. Then it dawned on me; she said it used to work fine. Well, if it worked once it will work again. I went to Control Panel, System, Device Manager, and located her graphics card under all the options. I went to the device drivers and clicked "Roll Back Driver". I rolled it back from 2005 to 2001 and the game works perfectly now. I'm not sure if having an old Video Card driver will affect anything else down the road but for now, the main mission was accomplished, which was to get the Sims 2 up and running. I promised her I would get it working somehow and I did. Hope this helps somebody. Good Luck!

I know the problem, I had it myself.

I'm guessing (as i was) that you are playing The Sims 2 or one of The Sims 2 Expantion Packs and you get a pop-up saying the following...

'Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatable graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatable graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.'

Now...This is probably not as rare as you'd think. After doing hours of research I found that many people with this problem and there are two main problems that can cause this...

1.Incorrect or old installation of DirectX.

2.Disabled video driver, video controller, graphics card or graphics adapter.

Even after my own installations of the latest Version of DirectX off the Microsoft website and the unnessary Developers version of DirectX (a gruelling 5hr download off the Microsoft msdn website), the pop-up would still appear!

Ergo: In this case there is no problem with DirectX

Nb. This could however be the problem for you. After installing the latest version of DirectX from: http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/AboutGFW/Pages/DirectX10.aspx your problem may be fixed, try running The Sims now.

DIDN'T WORK? THOUGHT SO...HOW TO FIX YOUR DISABLED VIDEO DRIVER:

1. start > Control Panel > System > Hardware(tab) > Device Manager(button)

2. This will bring up a list underneath your computers name.

(a)If there is then a yellow '?' symbol next to your video adapter or graphics card or graphics adapter, it has been disabled or somthing. This is the problem. (The aim is to create a 'Display' icon on the list, with your adapter or card under this as a subcategory instead of being under a '?' icon) go to step 3.

(b)If your adapter or card already appears under a 'Display' icon. Perhaps investigate and see why it isn't functioning, unfortunately it might not be compatable. BUTTTT!! As Tannerx007 stated on http://www.compatdb.org/support/topics/179705_sims2_directx_problem.html. Going into the adapter or cards propeties and clicking on the Driver(tab), try up[censored] the driver or as a last resort (AND AFTER CONSULTING A COMPUTER CONSULTANT) 'Roll Back Driver' this could work.

3. Click on the '?' with your adapter or cards name next to it. Go into its propeties and go to the Driver(tab), try up[censored] the driver. This could take a while, but it pays to be patient, just let it do its thing. This worked for me. Hope it does for you too!

Goober