Compatible Support Forums
clairem-s

usb device not recognised

hi, i seem to have crya problem i am reading lots of people have experienced from as far back as 2005. all was well with my computer until i bought a new digital camera at christmas - everything worked fine initially, then two weeks later couldn't download the pictures - error message saying "USB device not recognised". followed the troubleshooting prompts for this but ended in sending camera back to manufacturer who have confirmed there is nothing wrong with it. in the last week have bought a new printer/scanner, connected by usb cable and now can't use this either - same error message, although strangely i have had one page printed from a notepad document, but it won't do anything else, just keeps saying there is a communication error.

i have read that this seems to be a problem following upgrades to windows xp. i am not technically minded at all, so am looking for an easy and inexpensive solution if anyone has one ??? have read on this forum about turning computer off at the plug for 30 minutes but that didn't work either - can someone help ???

First place to look is Device Manager (start, run, devmgmt.msc) and see if you get exclamation marks next to any USB devices esp. the Controller or USB Hubs. If you have one then you need to reinstall drivers again for your USB ports using drivers for the motherboard for your PC.

Another thing that I've seen happen is when users do not stop the USB port before unplugging devices. To do so, you should right-click on the icon next to your clock on the taskbar (the icon should be a small green arrow and a small grey bar), then selecting "safely remove hardware." This stops the port which will prevent you from frying it.

I've done it to one of my old machines, so it is possible to do this, which might explain why the port used to work but now doesn't. Have you tried any additional ports? Most machines have multiple USB ports located in the front, as well as the back.

Hi People

I have the same error message:

”One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it”

This is a Toshiba laptop, and it effects all USB ports the same way.

The computer was running XP Home originally.

When I plug in a USB mouse I get the error, the mouse doesn’t light up and doesn’t work.

If I plug in a USB Memory stick XP will Freeze and I have to shut down and restart.

I disconnected power and battery to try to reset some memory – it didn’t help.

I have uninstalled the USB drivers several times – they auto install successfully.

I run Regedit and created a USB Key and a DWORD value called DisableSelectiveSuspend, set that value to “1”.

I ran some test program that I found and it says that both Hardware and Software for the USB’s is OK.

I formatted the hard drive and installed XP Professional.

All the same fault.

Finally I upgraded to Vista – and still faulty.

Now the USB Memory doesn’t freeze the computer – just get the same error.

I have an HP dvd4000 laptop running xp pro sp 2 (and upgraded to sp3). My usb stops working with a mouse plugged in in the middle of my sessions. Unplug the mouse replug and it works again til it stops working. Ive been through all the driver updates for the usb root hubs and BIOS updates and everything else with HP. Works until it stops working. Sometimes pen drives work and sometimes they do not. Sometimes the system tells me I have a USB 1 device when I really have a USB 2.0 device plugged in. Problems are sporadic but they are extremely annoying. HP wants me to reinstall windows. I am reluctant based upon what I read on these forums.

I hope someone has a solution. Thanks!