Compatible Support Forums
merknaan

Linux Newbie cant set up wireless network SuSE 9

First of all let me state that I am entirely new to Linux. With that said, here's the trouble.

I'm attempting to configure my home cable network on my SuSE 9 pc.

There are 2 computers in my network.

COMPUTER A runs Windows XP and is hooked directly to the router, which is a Belkin Wireless G model# F5D7230-4. This computer works properly.

COMPUTER B is using a Belkin Wireless G USB network adapter model# F5D7050.

I know all the hardware works properly because COMPUTER B also runs Windows XP. In Windows everything works correctly.

I know I need drivers for the device but Belkin doesn't offer them for Linux. Truthfully, I wouldn't know how to install them even if they did.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Grant

First, lets be clear on what version of SuSE that you have, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 or 9.3?

Secondly, realize that if you have SuSE 9.0, this is a very old version and instructions for this particular version will be hard to come by.

What version Belkin F5D7050 is this? It makes a difference, as there are 4 or more versions (according to the Belkin site) which have various chipsets that run the card.

You can use the package ndiswrapper to run your native Windows drivers (possibly) if you have the drivers cd.

To show an example, see this SuSE article for an example of the Ralink chipset version.

You will probably have much better luck with a newer version of SuSE, such as version 10.1. 10.2 or 10.3.