Compatible Support Forums
Poopinstein

New Motherboard & SATA 0X0000007B XP Problem

Hi All,

I'm new to this site, and message boards in general smile.

I'm getting very frustrated with the problems I've been having on my new PC build.

I've built numerous computers in the past and this is the first time I've had an issue that I haven't been able to figure out and I'm on to day 4 mad

Build:

Asus P5K

E2180 2.0Ghz dual core

4 GIG Kingston 800mhz ddr2 RAM (on QVL)

1 80 Gig Seagate SATA HD - SATA 1

1 320 Gig Seagate Sata HD - SATA 3

ATI 2400 256 Video Card

750 Watt Power supply Rocketfish

BIOS setting:

SATA = Enhnaced

MODE = IDE

Problem:

I set the bios up correctly (I think), but when I go to install Windows XP PRO from the CD it hangs up and I get a 0X0000007B error.

Things I've tried:

BIOS Update

Remove RAM

Change SATA Ports

Clear CMOS

load (F6) RAID/AHCI Drivers

Chande SATA to RAID, AHCI

Download Floppy disk from intel

and now I'm just shooting in the dark by changing various options in the BIOS and hope it boots.

Does anyone have any ideas??? confused I'm out of ideas and about ready to throw this computer out the window.

Any help would be appreciated

Try using one RAM chip to see if it's a problem with the ram, by the look of things it is crashing due to a piece of hardware not getting configured properly on boot.

Thats what I thought as well, I tried removing one chip just in case it was the 4 gig giving it problem, then I tried with a pair, then one....still no luck.

I tried that one as well, I downloaded my my SATA intel drivers, as well as the JMB363 driver on my Mobo CD and did the F6 install during XP setup. I'm not sure what else it could be....

Originally Posted By: jmmijo
Check out the advanced troubleshooting guide on Microsoft's Website on this error message.
I went through this doc as well, didn't seem to help my issue, but did give me things to try.

Originally Posted By: peterh
What settings for PATA/SATA drives in the BIOS do you have, have you tried changing some of the settings:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/10/23...harddisk-drive/

SATA is set to enhanced, mode is set to IDE. Then in another section of the BIOS (Onbard devices) it's set to SATA enabled, Mode IDE. I've tried various settings and loaded various drivers to no avail. I'm starting to think it a bad board...

i have the same problem. and looked everywhere to install windows xp.

no one knows how to install windows xp to my laptop...

if any of you find a solution.please let me know.

i have an hp tx2500 tablet pc. and i can use only vista just because of this installation problem.

0X0000007B means that XP cannot find your SATA controller.

You can either change an option in your BIOS to switch it to IDE or download the SATA drivers for your controller and provide them to XP when you install it.

The ideal method is to use Nlite and the drivers from driverspack.net and integrate them into your XP CD so that when you install XP you don't have to do anything.