Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Erik5388

Removing Networking Login - XP pro

Hi guys,

a quicky here...

so basically, I bought a cheap laptop.

I went to start it today and relized that it is set-up through a network. So entering the username and password provided, wont get me anywhere with out being in the proper domain.

I cant enter through safemode b/c it asks the same question.

Now I didnt pay a lot, so I could deffinetly reinstall windows. However... It is windows xp pro and has the microsoft word bundle on it. I would love to be able to access the original HD with teh original content.

is there a way around the login prompt? Can I disable this somehow?

Login with local administrator password and change the <B>Logon to</B> to the computer's name.

Open the System Control panel, click on Change and change it from a Domain to a Workgroup and enter a workgroup name.

If you cannot get into the system without a password, see if there is a checkbox for "workstation only." Depending on what networking client has been installed, this may or maynot be an option.

If there is a drop-down box after clicking "Advanced" at the Windows login screen, select the name of the machine, then try the credentials you were supplied. Essentially, you want to be logging into the local machine instead of the network.

Once that gets you in, perform the steps that peterh described.