Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reedyy

Video Card Help!

Ok so ive been eyeing down some video cards, sorry about other topic..

ive come across this

http://www.directron.com/3850xtremepcs.html

at the time im running intel pentium 4, windows XP pro, and i dont know my motherboard only thing i see on there is MSI i believe if that means anything, how do i tell if its compatible with my computer, like, what do i look at? the type of memory(ex ddr3) or what?

So a summary would be, what do i have to look at about my computer, and the graphics card to tell if its compatible?

------------------------------------------------------------

Operating:System: Windows XP Pro (5.1, Build 2600)

Processor:Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00 GHz (2CPUs)

Memory: 1022MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

DISPLAY

Name: RADEON 9200 PRO Family

Chip type: RADEON 9200 PRO AGP

DAC Type: International DAC (500MGz)

Approx. Total Memory: 128.0MB

Current Display Mode: 1024 x 786 (32 bit) (75Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

NEED MORE? LET ME KNOW!

Yes, the motherboard make and model is important, as it will determine several factors in choosing a video card. Some motherboards have limitations on what cards can be used and often the manufacturer's web site will have certification testings of various cards on their systems. This will also help you choose what card will work and that have been tested and certified to work, of course by the manufacturer.

Is this a self built system, or did you buy it froma major retailer, such as Dell, Gateway...? Sometimes the boards that are built for these systems have limitations, as well. The make and model in this case is helpful.

Otherwise, look on the motherboard between the AGP/PCI slots for a motherboard model and revision.

Also. Belarc Advisor can help determine what exact model that you have. I link to the software is located here. Run the program and look in the upper right of the readout web page that it displays.

I also notice that your link is for a model with PCI-E interface. Do you have such an interface, which is doubtful, as you say that you currently have an AGP card in the system. Usually, motherboards have one or the other. Note: This is different from the older PCI standard.

Have you installed the latest drivers for the card that you already have? The newer driver may have improved features that may make the card more usable.

But, you want to do some gaming. I can't suggest a card, since I do not do gaming, but you will get a lot of suggestions from folks here.

Finally, take a look a Directron's article here that will give you a start on some of the questions that you asked.

BTW, I will delete your other post, as you should follow one thread rather than two, where answers and following your questions will be easier and less confusing.

ive looked ALL around my motherboard and dont see anything saying what i have! help!

How about answering the questions that I asked about the system? This will help pin down some answers.

Did you try the Belarc Software that I linked to in order to see what it says about your motherboard?

Ok i think i have the info you need, ive got a program like the one you sent me that should have EVERYTHING you need here ya go hold up.

motherboard- MSI LTD MS-7104

Chipset - VIA P4M800 Pro/CE/CN700 + VT8237®

slots- 4xPCI, 1xAGP, v3.5

if you need ANYTHING else lemme know, this software tells me every single detail of my computer. That should be all the info i need correct? if so.. will the video card i posted up top work for it?

OK, now we know that you have;

Slots

One AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) 8X slot.

Three PCI 2.2 32-bit PCI bus slots (support 3.3V/5V PCI bus interface).

Does your system meet the minimun specifications for the card?

256MB of system memory (1GB+ recommended for Windows Vista). Installation software requires CD-ROM drive. DVD playback requires DVD drive. 350 watt or greater power supply.

The power supply requirement is especially important, as you need to connect the card directly to your power supply (the cable is included).

Also, the is has dual DVI-I ports for two monitors, but includes an adapter for standard connection to a standard VGA connector for your monitor, if this is what you have.

You can also find it cheaper elsewhere, say Tiger Direct. Take a look at the card and it's specs. at the link. Watch your shipping charges wherever you buy a card.

And not to forget, the card is only as good as your monitor and it's capabilities. So this is a consideration, as well.

Now, lets see if the true gamers can comment on this thread, as this is out of my area of expertise.

i have a 350W power supply exactly as for everything else it sounds good i think..

^ think i misinterpreted what you said up top, you said now that we know you have 3 PCI, but the program told me 4x, either mistake on my part or yours, not sure, but in your eyes this video card should be alright, correct?

256MB of system memory (1GB+ recommended for Windows Vista). Installation software requires CD-ROM drive. DVD playback requires DVD drive. 350 watt or greater power supply.

i have the memory, got cd drive, 350W exactly power supply, dont know about dvd drive, mine might be cd and dvd if there is such a thing but yea, i dont plan on using it for movies anyways.

Hate to jump in where Danleff left off, but to allay your doubts, your system will work with the new card. Do not sweat the number of PCI slots. What may be unusual is that this card requires auxilliary power. Most AGP cards draw their power from the AGP bus, but this card needs a little more power from the power supply directly. The cable will be included with the card, but read the instructions when you install the card so that you attach the auxilliary power cable properly. It goes without saying that you will want to eliminate the drivers for your old card before installing the new card.

ok thats what i needed to know, although, the reviews on the site he danleff sent, (tigerdirect) say that card is not even compatible with MS paint, if so thats really lame, if you see any other good agp cards with 512MB lemme know, before i order this one. Thanks

if you end up seeing one im willing to pay around 120-200ish for the card

No problem Sampson, since I do not do any gaming, my intent was to get this thread started.

Reedyy, just be aware, that reviews in these sites where buyers review the products have to be taken as just informational. Folks who review the product tend to be real technical folks or folks who have had problems. So take the reviews as just one piece of information in making your decision.

Newegg has some good deals, as well. Hope the link works here for some more possibilities and reviews from users.

The idea is to make an informed decision based on your needs.