Compatible Support Forums
misaal9

best antivirus??

I'm running a Norton 2007 on my system but it is terribly slow. It takes ages to get to the desktop. Are there any good antiviruses out there? I've heard of BitDefender,Kaspersky and Avg?How are they? I'm preferabley looking for an antivirus that doesnt affect system performance and also keeps its notification popups to the minimum...

I've been using ESET Nod32, for year now.

It's fast and there's only popups when it updates it's virus databases (you can disable notifications).

Currently it uses around 30 MB of memory (1 GB total and running Windows XP Pro).

It scans files your browser access, so if there's virus or other malware in the page, it'll terminate the connection to page.

There's email protection too.

I have found Kaspersky 7 to be great and use less resources then even NOD32. Right now the two AVP processes are consuming about 15 MB.

As for effectiveness, here is one comparative from when KAV was beta.

oh even i had kaspersky before....but it kept asking for virus definition updates...and it kind of slowed down my system...i think ill stick wid bitDefender...its been good so far...

I am still using Norton version 2003, with updates. It has an option to scan-on-access, as opposed to a full-system scan on startup. The former is relatively fast, since it only scans files when you try to use them (read, copy, move, execute). I then schedule a full system scan for once a week, just before going to sleep.

You might see whether your version of Norton can be made to do something similar.

Otherwise, my only advice is to avoid McAfee, which I am forced to use at work. It is even more cumbersome than Norton.

If you do stick with Norton, my advice is to stay away for the packaged suites, as long as you know what you're doing. From my experience, these suites are really for the common user who is not very Internet savvy, much like people who still use AOL.

It's great for controlling content for a family or if you know very little about what's going on. However, I found them to be incredibly annoying and resource intensive. Just a heads up.

Well, NOD 32 i think whit my personal expierience has been the most effective tool against all kind of virus troyans malware and stuff, it will not bother you whit a lot of pop up screens while you are surfing on the net and it will have your system running smoothly.. somebody from down here says kapersky doesn't use too many resources, when i try to use kapersky hundred of pop up has fill up my screen and make you think is catching virus troyans and malware as you are in a minefield and of course loading your resources to the maximum.Dont believe what magazine says cause they get pay for those advertise...its just that... get your own expierence trying every single tool the you can have access to it and you will find was fit best for you.a

Good luck!!

There are lots of good AV programs out there. NOD32 has been among the top five for a long time with some of the best detection of new threats out there, but it is a commercial program. Kaspersky has been among (if not THE best) the best against known threats for about forever, but I don't think there is a free version any more. Norton is up there in both known and new threats and they claim to have reduced it's bloatware status in the latest version re. system resources and general slowing things down. IDK whether they have toned down their irritating arrogance yet though - that's a good part of why I haven't used it for years. Avira's AntiVir is also at the top and good on both old and new threats. I think it has been up in or near the top 5 for a while and it's still free. I've been using TrendMicro (like PC Cillin) that comes with VCom/Avanquest's SystemSuite and haven't had any infection's that I'm aware of, but that may largely be due to my knowing what to look for and avoiding same.

. A good firewall and running a couple of the good anti-spyware utils out there as well as the one that comes with SystemSuite seems to keep my confuser clear.

.bh.

Originally Posted By: American Zombie
I have found Kaspersky 7 to be great and use less resources then even NOD32. Right now the two AVP processes are consuming about 15 MB.

As for effectiveness, here is one comparative from when KAV was beta.

I recommend kab7 too. I found it has more stable and function than others.

If you want a free antivirus get Avast Home Edition been running it for over a year now, Best one out there. Try it

I agree with sparhole.

I have been running Avast Home edition for over 3 years now. It is totally free, doesn't hog resources, updates quickly (even on dial up) every time you connect to internet. It can be used for 14 months before you have to re-register it. You can even use the same rego key on 2 home computers.

The only "problem" I have ever had was a possible false detection of a trojan in CPUZ install file. Up[censored] to latest CPUZ fixed issue. And yes it has captured and quarantined some viruses inbound in email.

The standard skin is a bit ordinary looking but there are many other skins available now. It has modules to protect emails with outlook and webmail clients, instant msgr, P2P, as well as web shield.

Check it out at www.avast.com

AVG internet securiity

thats not free can get a 30 day free trail.

but if you do buy it it's good for mutiply comuters and 2yrs

i still use spybot s@d, symantec and adaware. symantec seems to be running all the time and is heavy on the processes, and you can't run the other two at the same time, of course, but i have never had a virus. there's only a few sites that i frequent for networking, research and online game play so i think these are great for my usage. i think symantec came with my version of windows and the other two are free.

Since no one else has even mentioned it, let me mention that we aren't talking about computer virus protection, we're talking about Windows virus protection.

That is, no other common computer operating system has any significant problem with viruses. I don't use Windows at home, so I don't have to worry about viruses. Many of the alternatives to Windows can be downloaded and installed at no cost.

I'll just plug my favourite alternative: Linux. Take a look at getgnulinux_80x15.png (GetGnuLinux.org) or you can browse the many Linux distros at DistroWatch. My current favourite distro is Fedora.

Also, get_os_ribbon_03.gif (OpenSolaris.org) is becoming a serious contender for the desktop.

Also, there is PCBSD and other BSDs.

And of course there is Apple.

Ah! I found the link I was looking for when I posted the reply above. It's Why Linux is Better.

Click on the fist box: Forget about Viruses. The author says, "If you've ever heard of a real Linux virus, please tell me".

I've been using NOD32 for about 2 years and I haven't had any viruses at all. Also it isn't resource hungry like some of the other antivirus products so it is good