Compatible Support Forums
misaal9

extended desktop help

i tried connecting my laptop to TV via the s video port to watch movies.even though i have connected my tv and laptop via an s-video cable, when i goto device settings (display>settings>advanced>device settings) i get a message saying "two display must be connected before you can use this feature.please connect another display"[see pic]....help.

video_settings_error.JPG

i have a win xp professional OS.i have a Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset(version:6.14.10.4864).i do not have any graphics card installed on my system.i have a 7 pin s-video port on my laptop. my TV has a 4-pin port.i have all the necessary cables (the s-video and the ones for audio)

another thing, is there a difference between 945 express chipset(d one that i have) and a 945GM express chipset?does 945 express chipset even support extended desktop(dats wht its called, right??)

do reply...

I wish I could do some tests but I'm about to go home.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to "945 Express chipset" vs "945GM express chipset".

I think if you install the drivers from your laptop manufacturer then it may say "945gm" whereas if you install the drivers for the card from Intel it may say "945 Express chipset". I highly doubt this would effect wether S-video works or not since it's still the same chipset but it is a possibility.

So if your using the Intel video drivers then uninstall them and use the video card drivers from the laptop manufacturer website.

None of my users use S-video but they do use DVI/VGA alot and that always works fine and all of my users use the Intel video drivers straight from the Intel website.

If the above doesn't work then I would definetly check that cable.

Ok...I unistalled the previous driver and installed the video card driver from my laptop manufacturer website, but that did not work either. I am stil gettin the same display (as shown in above pic). I dont think there is a problem with the cable because it worked on my friends system (and TV).

Apart from the 7 pin to 4 pin connector cable, I also have a 7 pin s video to 3 RCA cord. But using it gives the same result...my system is unable to detect a secondary display

Somebody needs to answer this guys question. It has almost been 2 years, and I too have this same exact problem. I am also on xp like this guy. My intel 945 chipset is also supposedly up to date, and I have no idea what to do.

The cords I am using are the a/v and s video combo cord. I attached the s video to my laptop, and the av to my tv when both systems were turned off. Once i go look in my graphics options my graphics card is not picking up my tv as the secondary display. Can somebody please help, this is really frustrating.

What exactly do you expect people to do?

Although all Intel integrated video chipsets MIGHT be the same they are not necessarily so. Each motherboard could have different BIOS on the videocard, different video drivers (unlikely) or just broken hardware.

If you can try finding the drivers that were released for laptop when the laptop originally came out and see if SVideo works then.