Compatible Support Forums
Smiling Spectre

Fallout 1 & XP

Hello!

Recently I install Fallout 1 under my XP. At last. smile

Everything works good... except one feature.

Every time, when picture goes to light up or fade away (loading screen, healing, special quests etc.) it happens way too SLOW. This speed can vary from "too slow" to "almost frozen", but always is... except first run.

After short research, I understand why it is: .cfg file. While it is empty, everything all right. One run, and you receive slowness.

And it is even not full .cfg. It seems, only two parts of it: [sound] and [system]. If I delete it, everything work... but game restores it. frown But _no_ manipulations with this parts makes me anything good - it slows. Even full deletion of any of this parts don't help - only both of them.

I have Radeon 1600 series and SB128. All latest drivers installed (but for SB128 it is rather old drivers smile Can anything of it be cause of freezing?

Addition: I am wrong. It is completely random (as it seems) slowness. frown Yesterday I tested Fallout with different soundcard and different cfgs. Nothing. One time it is no freeze, another - almost stop. With identical cfg. I don't know. frown

Thank you, I will test it. smile

Another notice, if it can helps: very first time after each system reboot I have "lightning fast" light-up/fade-away. Screen simply have sudden "blink" on such opperations as healing or making antidote, and that's all. But if I close game and starts another (no matter, five minutes or three hours later), fade out will be much slower... or not so much. Random. And rate of fading remains the same in one game session. It seems as some sort of memory leak, but I never encounters leaks, that appears between games, but have no effect in game. %)

Addition:

I tested tweaks. Veery strange results. %)

1. It won't work. I have version 1.2, but it says "You need 1.2 US". I assume, I have UK version.

2. I searched and found only "partially official" patch 1.2 (It still have problems with delays. There is also unoficial 1.3, but it is incopatible with saves, and not removes delays too). Yes, it works with my version, and tweaks starts to work...

3.It works mostly for Fallout 2. %| Only "working" mode is DX9 - it is completely removes any delays with fading. Unfortunately, it destroys movies too. smirk

So - oops. Another ideas? smile

Could try reducing hardware video acceleration.

I'm just guessing now.... I've played Fallout 1/2 on all MS OS's and various computer hardware since then and never had these issues....

You may want to ask on the Bethesda forum or No Mutants Allowed forums.

Update: It was hardware problem somehow. %)

Upgraded:

Motherboard - Epox nForce2->MSI nForce3

Processor - Athlon 2000+ XP ->Athlon x64 3000+

All other hardware is the same. I even not have to change motherboard drivers - old was nForce2/3, as it appears. %)

Problem disappears completely. Now there is no "lightning speed" fading and no delays - old good "2-3 seconds for fade away".

Very strange. %)