Compatible Support Forums
Reuben79

my cd/dvd drive is no longer recognized by my comp

at fist, both worked. then the dvd reading and writting stopped. next the cd reading and writting stopped. i tried technical support but that messed it up even more. they told me to uninstall it, then disconnect it from my computer after shutting down. reconnecting it, then reinstalling it. the only problem is now the computer cant even find the drive, even in the boot menue. anyone know how i can manually reinstall hardware not found by the computer?

How old is your drive? I've had this happen to me before, and it was just because the drive had finally died. If you have a spare computer, try the drive in question on the other machine and see if you are getting the same problem. If so, you'll have to buy a new drive. If it works in the other machine, you may have a faulty cable.

Another question: Have you recently installed any new hardware, like an HDD or floppy/zip? If so, you may have some jumper settings placed wrong, which will cause your system to not recognize the drive. I doubt this is the issue, though, because of how your drive slowly deteriorated.