Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gange1234

Graphics card

hello all. Basically i need to buy a new graohics cards to run a game i really want to start playing. I know my computer specs are certainly not up to standard, i know also know by up[censored] my graphics it will help. Here are some of my specs...

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11

Memory (RAM): 1023 MB

CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz

CPU Speed: 2988.9 MHz

Sound card: SoundMAX Digital Audio

Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD

Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit

:

Network Adapters: SITECOM WL-168 Wireless Network USB Adapter 54g - Packet Scheduler Miniport | 3Com 3C920B-EMB-WNM Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport

CD / DVD Drives: D: SONY CD-RW CRX320E

:

COM Ports: COM3 | COM1

LPT Ports: LPT1

Mouse: 8 Button Wheel Mouse Present

Hard Disks: C: 71.9GB | F: 232.8GB

Hard Disks - Free: C: 3.6GB | F: 186.7GB

USB Controllers: 3 host controllers.

Firewire (1394): Not Detected

:

Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.

Product Make: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

:

AC Power Status: OnLine

BIOS Info: ATAT COMPATIBLE 090505 A M I 9000505

Time Zone: GMT Standard Time

Battery: No Battery

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4R800-VM

Modem: SoftV92 Data Fax Modem

The problem is that i really dont know what graphics cards are compatible with this pc. Im pretty sure the motherboard plays a huge role in what graphics cards i could have but i have no idea how i can find exactly which ones would work on it. Would u guys either give me a list of what cards would be compatible or how to find out the information.

Thanks and have a good sunday (if that is possible. I hate sundays)

That Asus model is indeed an AGP type socket 478 motherboard.

You should be able to get a pretty decent AGP card like the nVidia 7600 series or the ATi X1600 series, however, I noted that there was a post on the news section about Sapphire releasing an ATi 2600 AGP card recently, I wonder if I can find the article again wink

EDIT: Yep, here it is...

Thanks for the response. Dont want to be a pain but how do u find out what cards are compatible. Just thought it would be useful for future issues. Thanks

EDIT- Just looked on amazon at the Nvidia 7600 series and there are quite a few. I have no idea what im supposed to be looking for. I suppose this ties into the question above but as i said i really wouldnt mind building a slightly better understanding. Ill take a look for some guides on graphic cards and such and see if i can make some sense of it.

Would i be right in saying that i couldnt use this card Inno3D GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3 PCIE Graphics Card, but i could use this card Inno3D GeForce 7600GS 256MB DDR2 AGP Graphics Card due to the PCIE and the AGP connection differences

Your motherboard has an AGP graphics port, not a PCI-E slot. You will need a VGA card. Also, consult the motherboard manual about what voltage is supported. From what I see, make sure that it is a video card with +1.5 voltage rating, not 3.3V.

If you stick with AGP 8x graphics cards, these should all be 1.5VDC type cards but be sure to check the motherboard manual or Asus's website for details on the support type of graphics cards.

Also note that ONLY AGP type cards will work and not PCIe cards which are the current and most available type out right now.

Also note the link I placed in the above post about the Sapphire 2600 HD in an AGP interface wink

This is one card that has the latest generation of GPU's on it.

Hi,

Looks like your mother board supports only AGO cards and not PCI express cards.

Please buy any good(NVIDIA or ATI)AGP card with 8 X 1.5 v specification.

Link to manual of your mother board

joule.bu.edu/~hazen/LinuxCluster/e1511_p4r800-vm.pdf

Best luck,

Austin.

hey just want to add sumthing u can goto ur display thing by right clicking ur desktop and the settings should be ontop and check if it is agp and just to let u know not to piss u off u wrote Memory (RAM): 1023 MB its actully 1024 for a gb of ram just so u know for future rephences also what game u want to play tell me the specs and ill find u the right graphic card for cheap and send u the link im useing an ati radion x1950 512mb agp 8x only thing with that card is u need a 12v dual rail on ur power supply thats the thing u plug ur pc into on the back of ur computer not to be smart also alot of games dont work with mx or fx series and also the ATi X1600 series is a good thing one thing though times are changing do ur self a faver and get geforce 8800gtx extreem 640mb with dx 10 the whole shabag but u will need a pci-e slot but it will be worth it plus agp is outdated pci-e blows the agp scen away with that card u can do anything it is from my source of website 379.99$ if u do make sure ur motherboard has the same stuff u have in ur pc like ram and cpu socket urs if a 775 u can get these motherboards from 80 to 400$ just make sure ur ram slot in the new one is the same as ur ram also it wouldnt hurt to get another gig or ram.....we want quality not piece of shit hardware peace

Wow. Congrats on the no punctuation pskarty. Just to let you know, 1023MB is a proper report on actual memory size, it's never an actual whole number, just like a CPU is never "3.00GHz" at all times, it fluctuates between 2.97-3.02GHz depending on voltage flow, which is in constant flux (different reason from why memory is never "just 1024MB" but it still applies).

And AGP is not dead yet. It's old, it's outdated, but nothing uses PCI-E's full 16 lanes yet anyway. The only thing holding back an AGP video card these days is CPU limitations. You could theoretically put the biggest, meanest video card on AGP and you'd still have a bottleneck with a maximum performance ceiling because of an older CPU.