Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
janfebmar

Windows showing wrong free space

Ok.

Im not the best Windows user in the world, but how come all of a sudden Windows shows that I have used about 48Gb more than I really have?

Come on!

What is the biggie!

I really need to boost the space up again so that I can use my Western Digital Raptor Disk for demanding apps. But how can I when windows just "eats" all the hard drive space to empty space, pff.

Any solutions to this?

Here is the summary :

Download urkwindows.JPG

You probably have files in your recylcing bin and temporary internet files. I've seen these hog up over 5 GB before. If you run a Disk Cleanup (under Application, System Tools), you can free up a lot of unnecessary files. After running that, run a defrag (same location). That should help you out a lot.

Also, you might think about exporting old emails and copying them to a CD, then deleting them and compacting the folders. You could also reduce the cache on IE or the browser that you use. Myke's suggestion is a good one, but you might also want to look at CC cleaner to get a lot of temporary files out of your system. Be careful what you want removed. Deleting some things like cookies may cause you to have to fill out passwords, etc for some webpages.

seriously.. did anyone read what I wrote?

even look at the picture, the only reasonable answer I got was from DosFreak.

Im not a newbie to computers, yet I know that cookies, temp files, recycle bin takes up space..

But the recycle bin automatically have a setting that removes all the files without going thru the bin if you dont turn off that threshold. And who would want to do that?

What I said is that Windows is showing me wrong, no I do not have 48 Gb in my recycling bin nor Do I have millions of Megabytes in cookies. If you all looked at the screen I posted in that link you would see that, since I have a file summary there.

Ima check out this windirstat thingie and come back with an update.

Nope , windirstat doesnt really say anything about what takes up space.. it just presumes automatically that I have 20 Gb partition instead of 70..

Check your cluster size. (Although according to your pic this might be okay).

Check your System Restore.

Check your hibernation/pagefile sizes.

Manually check your Recycle Bin\Recycler folders (Right-click properties in Explorer). (Sometimes recycle bin doesn't delete files...).

The only time I've seen Windows report the wrong size for partitions is if the partition is corrupted.....

You only have 14gb being used on C:\? Do you not install any programs or do you install them on another partition?

What's with the weird HD layout?

My appologies. I misunderstood you by assuming that you didn't know much due to your first sentence. The picture should have cleared that up quickly, but it didn't. My bad.

I did a search through the MS KB and found an article which seems like it could help you out: How to locate and correct disk space problems on NTFS volumes in Windows XP.. Since your disk is formated with NTFS partition, I figured this article would work well for you. I am assuming by the looks of the windows that you are using XP.

Hope this helps.

The C:\ drive in the Comp. Mgt. windows looks like it shows a total of 69.23 GB. The 14 GB that DosFreak is talking about seems like the problem janfebmar is concerned with.

Update, the partition is corrupted.. meaning that I have to install windows again.

WHYYYYY MICROSOFT?

Why did you make such a lousy operating system to begin with?

Too bad I cant install Windows on my EXT3 partition..

=(

So much more stable, less fragmentation if any at all.

Go for reinstall xD

Thanks for the effort guys.