Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
belveder

Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6 RV2 Mobo bios help please

I just got this board as part of my new system and the bios is totally confusing me, I was wondering if someone good help / give advice on the best way to have the settings set?

One of my problems is that my memory is 1066 but the mobo runs at 800

I don't understand all the different MAC Lan & Lan settings, I have the PC going to the internet through a router so I only need one Lan but don't know which one to use and set in the bios.

In the bios DD2 1.8v is marked as FAIL and in red?

I don't want to get heavily into overclocking but would like to get the best settings for my system

Many thanks in advance

My system

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 CPU

2 x Kingston Hyper 2 GB Kit memory 1066MHz

Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6 RV2 Mobo

Razer Barracuda AC-1 Digital Audio Card

XFX PCIe 8800GTX xXx Video card

Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU

WD 250GB SataII HD

2 x WD 500GB SATAII HD

Compro T750 HDTV Dual Tuner PCI Card

Thermaltake Bigwater 745 water cooling

Samsung 226BW 22" monitor

Samsung Syncmaster 913 19" monitor

Silverstone TJ07 Tower

As far as the memory goes, try reseating your memory sticks. If that doesn't help, try booting up with only one stick in at a time; one of your sticks may be faulty.

I'm not sure that you need to toy with the LAN settings in the BIOS, as those can be adjusted and set within your OS.

As for your BIOS being marked as FAIL, try reinstalling (or upgrading) the BIOS, which can be downloaded from the manufacuterer's web site.

Yeah, I'd be careful about overclocking, but it seems like you have a decent cooling system, so a little bit shouldn't be too harmful. Might want to get someone else's opinion, though.

Thanks for that but there are no BIOS updates for this motherboard.

I have reseated, swapped the sticks and checked them all with memtest, they are all fine, although when I took any one stick out the boot problem was solved.

When you say that you took any one stick out and the boot problem was solved, do you mean that it didn't matter which stick was in so long as only one was in?

If that's the case, are you sure that you motherboard can handle more than one stick of that type of RAM (speed and size)?

No, as my specs say I have 4 1gig sticks of memory, I can only run with 3 but I am supposed to be able to have 8gig

Are you running the memory at the voltage and latency settings referenced in the link to the Kingston site that I gave you on your other post?

KHX6400D2LLK2/2G 2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC

Low-Latency CL4 (kit of 2) 4-4-4-12 2.0V

Consult your motherboard's manual to set the bios settings.

Quote:
In the bios DD2 1.8v is marked as FAIL and in red?

See the data sheet for you modules on the Kingston page, as they default to 1.8 volts at 5-5-5-15.

danleff I can't seem to find the link you mentioned, I looked it up myself though and the memory you presumed I have is the wrong one I have the HyperX DDR2 (PC2-8500)

KHX8500D2K2/2G 2GB kit DDR2 1066MHz Non-ECC CL5

(kit of 2 - 1GB)

5-5-5-15 2.2V

Thanks for all replies so far

Hi,

I have noticed that the maximum memory clock your board supports is 800 Mhz, Up to 8 Gb total memory. Hence it may be running your 1066MHz Kingston memory at 800 Mhz. You either need to upgrade to a good motherboard or use lower clock ram max up to 800Mhz.

Specifications of your CPU

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9U

Specifications of your Motherboard

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Mot...=GA-N680SLI-DQ6

best luck,

Austin