Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
OGGleep

Major issues - Need help Vista

I have been having issues since I built this rig in Feb. I spent 2 months in thailand right after building this system, so didn't really notice it until I got back. Anyhow, it has gotten to the point where I am no longer willing to live with it, and must figure it out.

The aggrivating part is, there are no direct errors. The system runs, poorly but it runs. There are nagging issues which have erros, but those are a side show.

Anyhow, the issue has something to do with the Harddrives. Everything within windows, takes 4-5 times longer then it should. There is excessive harddrive access whenever something is opened or closed. The OS is extremly sluggish. When opening a game, there could be 20-30 seconds lag time before the system even thinks about starting it up. Tasks within games that used to take seconds to complete ( loading, transfering between menues etc.) are super slow...roughly 4 to 5 times slower.

Heres the ticket. It most cases, it doesn't really impact game performace. I am sure there is a hit, but unless the game in optimal conditions runs under 60-50 fps, I don't notice the hit in performance due to this issue. When games are running at 80 fps instead of 100fps, its hard to tell.

I did turn indexing off. I was doing a project of cataloging our old archives, and 3-4 gig files were taking 1 1/2 hours to decompress. I could also not extract across drives (file on c:, extract to D:), any attempt would result in an error. With indexing off, it took about 15 minutes.

Here is my system:

EVGA 680i SLI MB

Intel Duel Core 2.66

2 GB Ram

Nvidia 8800 GTX (tried various driver sets)

1 WD 130 GIG SATA

1 WD 500 gig SATA

Creative X Fi

Below copied from Sys INFO

TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D162C ATA Device (SATA

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L SCSI CdRom Device (SATA)

I believe that is it.

Seriously need help. I am worried that if I reformat, this will happen all over again. Everything I do, the HD gets thrashed. I've never had a system that accessed the HD so hard. The system is rated 5.5, and it runs like a 1.0.

If anyone could help, I would really, really appriciate it.

Load up Task Manager and select View enable the columns for I/O Read/Write to disk stats and then see which process is doing all the disk I/O!

Then you can disable/uninstall that process...

I'm Starving Artist & new to this forum with a similar problem.In device manager there's an (!) next to:TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L ATA Device. I finished building my PC last month;for the quality hardware devices I bought & used to build this machine it should do handsprings,serve me coffee at the same time while I play my mediocre games to pass the time away. I saw your post and wondered if you ever found a solution.Another problem is I have not 1, but 2 DVD/RW drives both from Samsung-one a Sata the other IDE. Only one shows up, but both work. Go figure that one out!I'm not a computer wiz, but I do know how to put one together.I am self taught and learn by reading and asking questions on forums like these. I know how to install stuff, but I don't know enough to set up settings for the hardware and software to run at it's full potential.

A short hardware summary of my PC:

OS Name: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium

System Model:P5K

System Type: X86-based PC

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz,2664Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 0414, 5/24/2007

Total Physical Memory: 2,046.50 MB

Available Physical Memory: 992.54 MB

Total Virtual Memory: 4.92 GB

Available Virtual Memory: 3.64 GB

Page File Space 3.00 GB

Display Name:NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT

Adapter RAM 512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (7.15.11.6369, 7.27 MB (7,623,968 bytes), 9/11/2007 10:28 PM)

Sound Name:Realtek High Definition Audio

Manufacturer:Realtek

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkvhda.sys (6.0.1.5391, 1.68 MB (1,761,696 bytes), 9/26/2007 7:08 AM)

Size 298.09 GB (320,070,320,640 bytes)

Description Disk drive

Model:WDC WD2500AAKS-00SBA0 ATA Device

Description Disk drive

Model WDC WD3200AAKS-22SBA0 ATA Device

Description Disk drive

Model Apple iPod USB Device

Size 941.31 MB (987,033,600 bytes)

CD-ROM

Drive Not Available

Description CD-ROM Drive

Media Loaded No

Media Type UNKNOWN

Name TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L ATA Device

Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)

Status Error

Transfer Rate 0.00 kbytes/sec

SCSI Target ID Not Available

PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMTSSTCORP_CD/DVDW_SH-S183L_______________SB02____\5&643F929&0&1.0.0

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (6.0.6000.16386, 65.50 KB (67,072 bytes), 11/2/2006 4:51 AM)

Signed:Starving-Artist

I hate to rez an older thread, BUT, Starving, I have a thought for you. In my experience, mixing SATA and regular ol' PATA is a no-no. Especially in the case of CD/DVD Roms, since the BIOS still loads IDE first and SATA last. So, do some tinkering and disconnect the PATA drive, leave the SATA one connected, and see what Windows does.