Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
loveless

emachines H5036 USB Problem

Hello.. as obvious as it is im having a massive USB problem.. i have tried everything (unless something im not aware of hopefully) and i still cant use my usb devices like my cell phone,mp3,camera,scanner etc.. everytime i connect a device i get either usb device not recognized or usb malfunction and wont work properly.. the methods iv tried are deleting every usb device listed and then turning it off and unplugging it for 30 minutes or system recovery, system restore and still dosent work and i also tried that DriverSelectiveSuspend and put a value of 1 and still not working.. PLEASE PLEEEEEASE help me out this is driving me insane..thank you so much

When you have unplugged your USB devices in the past, did you make sure to stop the port first via the icon in the task bar? A lot of people make the mistake of not doing this, which can fry your USB port. Believe me that it can, because I've done this in the past and fried all 4 of my USB ports on my monitor. If that is the case, then you are kind of screwed with those ports.

You could possibly install a USB hub that connects to the interior of your machine.

what do you mean install a USB hub? how does that work and how would i know if i fried them?

You would know if you fried your USB port if nothing works in them. Try installing a USB mouse or keyboard. If they don't work, then you might have friend your port. You can also try up[censored] your drivers.

In regards to installing the hub, there are cards you can buy that should fit into a PCI slot which will have USB ports. From there, you can plug in a USB hub.

Thank you very much but one more question please how do i update my drivers when i dont have the instalation disk that this computer came with no more?

Most computer manufacturers have a support section on their website which offer downloads for their machines. Go to emachines' site here: http://www.emachines.com/support/product...amp;model=H5036

Unfortunately, it looks like they only have a motherboard/BIOS update on there, but it's definitely worth a shot, and you should do it anyways to keep your system up-to-date.

If that doesn't work, you might be able to get specific manufacturer information on your motherboard in the Device Manager. They might have further support and downloads which can assist you.

You have 6 USB ports, 2 in the front and 4 on the back of the case.

Are you plugging in your USB hardware on the back ports, or front ports? If on the front ports, try the back ports.

i tried the back i tried the front and i think they work cuz i plug it in and i uninstall my root hub in device manager like 2 of them and it makes that sound when you connect a device and it acttually lists the name after that anyways i tried that BIOS thing i burn it to a CD and turn the computer on with it inside the drive and just let it run and then it comes to a screen with a bunch of stuff and it basicly wants me to enter something like a DOS Code and i dont know what to put

ok this is very werid but when i connect a device sometimes it just goes "Unknown Device" then sometimes it acttuly says the name of my device like "Zen Nano Plus" (mp3) and also says your new hardware is installed and ready to use but its not listed... so its not fried riiiiiight? ^_^ please say no lol

An alternative is to buy an extra USB PCI card (preferably an 2.0 for extra speed) and use that instead of built in USB ports.

USB is supposed to be hot pluggable which means you can remove devices while the computer is switched on. This prevents devices from being 'fried'.

The 'Remove Device Safely' feature is for storage devices to ensure file writes are completed and caches flushed before the device is removed.

If a device is recognised when added to the system then it means the USB is working properly. It may be due to poor drivers or some sort of fault than the port being 'fried' as such.

hello... so what happens when i add my device and it says unknown and i go to device manager and i click it and it says "drivers are not installed for this" what does that mean?

ok the weirdest thing happened!!!! some how i guess leaving it unplugged for hours on end i turned it back on and my USB (those that i uninstalled before shuting down you know all of them) reloaded and then when i connected my cellphone it installed and shows on the device manager then it acttually installed itself on the software and it shows it listed but it dosent say its connected even though it does show it listed for some reason.. what in the **** is going on!?!? >=( pleeease help ? lol

It honestly sounds like your machine has USB 1.0 ports. This is a common problem with newer devices which connect via USB cables, hence which peterh stated that if you get a USB card to fit on a PCI slot, you need to make sure it is USB 2.0. It's kind of a pain in the neck to troubleshoot those, so you might want to eventually upgrade your USB ports.

In regards to your PC stating that you phone is not connected (despite that the device was recognized and the software installed), this may be due to the application itself. Check the settings and make sure that the application is set to read from the phone via USB and not some other method (e.g., COM1). You should find these type of settings under a tab labeled "Connections" or something like that.

Let us know if that helps.

Hey thanx for replying Myke.. uhh it says its on COM12? what should i do does that mean it will work if i change it ? i just put it on COM2 scine most of them say unavailable even though i dont know what other devices its talking about..maybe my USB drive is like malfunctioned and thinks theres a device attatched to it when its not? =O

Yeah, that's why it isn't recognizing the device. Your USB ports are completely different than COM ports (which are about 1" wide and 0.5" tall and screw into the back of the machine). You should look into getting a USB card to install to a PCI slot. It sounds like your USB ports are shot if none of them are working.

It's a common problem, update your BIOS and everything will work fine after. I sold a lot of this model and every modeldo the same thing. Update the BIOS and enjoy!

Mart.

Hi,

Looks like your board's USB ports are screwed.

The best thing is to buy a PCI USB card 2.0 so u can user your USB devises.

Please make sure you stop the USB devises before you unplug them all the time.

best luck,

Austin