Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

Int Explorer 7 and Cleartype

I've just updated to IE7 and encountered the Cleartype option in the final bit of the Setup. Having complained so much to website administrators in the past about the poor legibility of webpage fonts on large screens (ntcompatible.com has been an excellent site in this regard), I was glad to see this option now included in IE. But despite Microsoft saying that the change wouldn't affect the Desktop or ordinary program windows, I've found that it has. At the same time, the new IE modified some of my Appearance settings and I've had to re-apply mine. Additionally, it now appears that the colours on webpages are no longer adhering to the sRGB standard but have been modified in some arbitrary way. Webpage colours appear washed out.

Has anyone else noticed this?

If I can find the Microsoft Cleartype webpage again, would it be possible to re-run the adjustment? Would it, in fact, be better to download the utility that was mentioned and which could be used offline? Does this utility allow continuously variable adjustment, or is it still in abrupt steps?

I definitely want to get the webpage colours back to accurate ones but as far as the fonts are concerned, they just need a bit of fine-tuning.

On the whole, I regard the change to Cleartype as being a distinct improvement.