Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

Anyone know how to get rid of this?

I run a single XP machine, so normally My Network Places doesn't contain anything except the Microsoft top-level folder icons. But a moment ago, I happened to look in My Network Places and found a 4KB folder entitled "assets on www.cesa.org.uk".

Doing a google, I discovered that cesa is the "catering equipment suppliers association" (I'm talking UK, here). Well, what the heck's that doing there!? I can only summise that an html e-mail that I had recently from a catering suppliers to whom I'd made a brief e-mail enquiry some weeks ago has placed this folder there.

I've found that I can delete the folder to the Recycle Bin from the top-level set of folders in My Network Places but it still leaves a non-deletable copy folder in the Web Client Network folder.

My antivirus client doesn't look for anything in those sets of folders (it tells me), so it's obviously missed seeing it.

Anyone know how I can completely remove it from My Network Places? A Registry hack, perhaps?

Looking at the logs in my software firewall, I see that my software firewall has recently blocked three outgoing attempts to connect with www.cesa.org.uk.

The antivirus client you are using doesn't look at the folder with "assets on http://www.cesa.org.uk" because items in that folder are not considered a risk to your system.

I have Windows XP, and the best thing to do to get rid of the folder is to restore your computer to a date before the folder was created. All files created after the date will NOT be deleted. I've done it a few times. It really is not worth it to restore, so I'd just keep the folder in the computer. It is not a risk.

Check your IIS settings and see if there is a web or FTP site running in the background. You can get to this via Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Internet Information Services. If you see a "cesa" service running, you can stop/disable it. That will stop it from trying to connection outside your network.

In my IIS, I can not find anything running, is that normal?

I believe that, by deafult, no web sites are running when IIS is installed. You have to set those up manually.