Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Myke

Word 2007: Changing a macro icon

I've been testing out Office 2007 before deploying the suite of applications to the rest of the company and have run into a few things that I cannot figure out. One of these things is that I cannot use a set of macro button icons which I designed.

In the previous version of Office (Office XP/2002), I created 4 seperate macros for printing a specific type of document to a specific printer using specific trays. All of these macros work fine in both XP and 2007. Each of these macros is displayed using a unique set of images to distiguish themselves from other icons, and I fully intend on using the same images. However, Word 2007 seems like it will only allow me to use images from a predefined set (181 system icon images). I have tried to find these icons (to no avail) so that I could simply throw my images into the folder, which should allow to change the icon via the "Modify" button in "Word Options."

My question is this: does anyone know how to use an custom-designed image (simple BMP files) as a macro icon in 2007? While this may seem trival to some, it will make things that much easier for the rest of the employees if they can still find commands which they were used to seeing. Thanks in advance

Well, I'm continuing to do research into this problem and it seems that I am definitely not alone on this. Many people have been trying to assign a custom-made icon to a macro placed somewhere on the Ribbon. What baffles me is that people have been requesting that Microsoft include this option into the ribbon since the second Beta release, but MS hasn't done anything.

The closest thing I've found is a RibbonCustomizer beta that someone is developing to help with this: http://pschmid.net/blog/index.php. Unfortunately, he is still attempting to create a beta which will allow a power user to use custom-built icons in the Ribbon.

Anyone have any luck yet? I'm going to be deploying Office 2007 in the next month and would really like to get these icons used for the macros. It will be a real pain to get the users to further adjust to this; I know if sounds trivial, but there are some people who are just now finding out how to use the signature field in Outlook, so this is kind of important to them.

Thanks for the reply, SmallSpark. Unfortunately, what I was looking for was how to use custom icons for macros instead of the generic list of maybe 50 that you are currently ONLY allowed to use. In Word 2002, I was using icons which I created for specific macros.

Again, thanks for replying.