Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
robobond

keyboard problems

after recently switching out my power supply ive run into some roadblocks. first upon start up with ps/2 keyboard plugged in the lights flash once on the keyboard then go off and i get stuck at a screen that says cmos checksum bad as the keyboard no longer works. upon removal of the keyboard and a restart the computer will load up to windows and im aloud to use the ps/2 mouse however if i plug the keyboard back in then the mouse stops working. i am however aloud to use my usb mouse without this problem. currently am using the osk.

in case it helps:

motherboard: asus p4v800d-x

processor: p4 3.00 ghz

memory: 1 gb

any help is appreciated

So when you plug your keyboard in after the OS loads up, the mouse stops working. Are you saying that the keyboard will then work? Does your keyboard work when using a USB mouse? Does you machine boot up if your keyboard and USB mouse are plugged in?

This will help determine if you fried something in your machine.

the computer will not boot if keyboard is plugged in but will if either ps/2 mouse or usb mouse is. atm the keyboard will not work at all. it lights up then doesn't work. also its a working keyboard.

anyone? id really like to get this fixed. worse comes to worse i suspect a usb keyboard should work.

Are you sure that the keyboard and mouse are connected to their correct respective ps/2 ports? I assume that you disconnected them before replacing the power supply?

A bios checksum error is usually a failing cmos battery, or corrupted cmos, but first;

Check and make sure that the pins on the keyboard ps/2 connector are not bent.

Try another keyboard on the system (ps/2) if possible.

Can you also post the make and model of the system, or if self built, the make and model of the motherboard?

yes correct ports, no bent pins and everything was disconnected upon installation of the power supply. have tried other keyboards. computer is self built and make and model is in first post.

Since the problem occured when you replaced the power supply, is the new power supply rated for P4 systems? It is a 24 pin motherboard connectpr with a secondary 4 pin connector also attached (atx power and atx 12v)?

The onboard LED is lit to green when the system is powered up?

If you try a USB keyboard, make sure that Legacy USB is set to auto in the bios, so that the keyboard gets recognized during boot.

Also, since the checksum error occured, make sure that the default values are loaded in the bios and saved.

yes i have the correct power supply(400 watt). the lights power on fully then goes out. how do i set that Legacy USB is set to auto in the bios without be able to use keyboard?

The reason that I mentioned the correct ps/2 ports, is that I have myself made this mistake. You are sure that the mouse is in the green ps/2 port and the keyboard in the purple ps/2 port.

I was also referring to the onboard LED on the motherboard. You noted that the "lights" (plural) come on and then go off, is what you were referring to the onboard LED on the motherboard itself, not the computer case?

Have you tried another ps/2 keyboard? Rare that they go bad, but it can happen. It is also rare that the keyboard controller goes bad on the motherboard itself, but actually my wife's did a while back.

The bad checksum error usually means that the information stored in the cmos has been corrupted, or is incorrect. This can be due to a bad cmos battery, or bad/inadequate power supply, among other issues, such as a virus that corrupted it.

Your system seems to have developed the problem since putting in a new power supply. This is why I mentioned this as a possible issue. Just to make sure, what is the make and model of the new power supply?

I guess my question is now, what led you to put in a new power supply? Just to have a new one, or were you having some issues that led you to replace the power supply?

The problem is, you were working inside the case. So, I assume that you used methods to prevent electrostatic discharge to the motherboard while you replaced the power supply?

If you tried all of the above to no avail, then possibly you can reset your cmos and the system will work again.

Take a look at the motherboard user's manual, which has a lot of information on how to set the bios values.

Yes, I realize that you do not have a working keyboard. But if you try to use a USB one, then you want to make sure that the option that I mentioned is set, or that will potentially not work as well.

Let us know where you are at.

I am having a similar problem with a ga-71x motherboard. Keeps saying CMOS Checksum Error - Defaults loaded press F1 to continue or DEL to enter Setup.

Keyboard is dead at this point.... but works on my other computer.

I've tried:

1. New Battery

2. Different Powersupply

3. Changed RAM

4. Reset CMOS jumper

5. Changed CPU to another I know is working (both recognized)

6. Unplugged all devices and reseated them

7. Used only RAM, CPU, & Video

8. Changed AGP Video to PCI card

9. Used 3 dif Keyboards (PS2)

Everytime it boots it gives processor speed, counts memory, checks for hard drives then gives checksum error and freezes.

You cant enter BIOS to change anything because 3 different keyboards wont work and you cant push DEL key for setup.

System is froze as num lock & scroll lock will not light.

Gigabyte GA-7ix, right?

Was this computer used regularly or dusted off for use recently, or recenly put in a case (installed)?

Check the motherboard manual. Is jumper JP-10 (keyboard power on) set to on or off?

How did you reset the bios jumper exactly?