Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kingcult

Ge Force MX 4000

Hi everyone! well i got a problem with my video card. It is a Ge Force MX 4000 pci card but when we put it in we try to start it up but it just keeps restarting and restarting. my dad and i have no clue what is going on. Someone plz help

Motherboard? Chipset? AGP speed?

Use tools such as Sisoft Sandra or Astra32 to get more hardware

information.

Sry i have no idea what kinda mother board it is but it has an AMD Duron processor. AT/At compatible and 490,992 KB of ram

Take out the new video card; boot up your computer. When Windows comes up:

Right click on MyComputer and select Properties from the pull down menu, then click on the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button. From the many devices you will see in a list, click on the "+" sign next to the Display Adapter. This will tell you what Video card you have. It also might indicate if it is onboard video. Depending on your motherboard, your video might be on the motherboard rather than on a separate video card.

Exit the Device Manager, go into Control Panel then Add/Remove software and delete the drivers for your video. Exit control panel; it will probably tell you it has found a new device and want to install the drivers for it. Cancel and shut down the computer.

While down, remove the old video card and put in the new one. If it is onboard video, put in your new card, then - turn on the machine and as it attempts to reboot, you will have to get into the BIOS (the screen will say hit DEL button or F2 or some keyboard key to do this). Look at your options and find the video section. Make sure that onboard video is cancelled or diasallowed. Write the changes to the BIOS (usually F9) then let it boot. When windows comes up, the screen should be running under standard VGA (and it will usually looke washed out. You may even be prompted that Windows finds new hardware and wants to install the driver. Don't let it. Put the CD that came with the video card in and install the drivers from it.