Compatible Support Forums
Azz

Power Supply Problems

Please HELP I have recently change my motherboard, cpu and ram, and having this continuous problem with my pc. When playing games my computer shutdown randomly I took it to a technician and they just replaced everything besides the powersupply and they said that the power supply is not the problem. How do I know its the power supply

I doubt it is the motherboard or the cpu heating up.

Here are the voltagesCase

-|2.42 V|3.63 V |3.18 V |5.35 V |12.40 V| -10.88 V| -4.80 V

first off you need to give us your specs for your pc.

also disable automatic reboot from Start>Setting>controlpanel>system

then clic on the advanced tab and go into setting at the startup and recovery option. get rid of the checkmark next to automatically reboot

that should at least (hopefully) give you an error message instead of a reboot.

Thanks for a reply

My specs

Dual Core e6420 2.13ghz (2x2.13ghz)

2gb ddr2 ram

160gb hard rive

motherboard- asus p5l 1394

power supply 400 watts

I have done that before but the problem is that the computer just shuts down randomly and doesn't reboot at all, when playing games (stalker) and (command and conquer3) so I have to pull the plug out and plug it in and wait for a minute then it will start again, but if Iam using the internet or using word, etc its ok and will not shutdown at all.

I forgot to add my graphics card that is a 512mb ati x1950 gt

Bear with me a little, as your original post was a little confusing.

You were having the shutdown problem and took it to a tech., who replaced the hardware to the specs. that you posted? Or the hardware was always in the system to begin with?

Shutting down problems can occur when either you have an inadequate power supply, or the system shuts down due to overheating.

In your case it is happing during a load, namely playing games.

If the problem only ocured when the tech replaced the hardware, take it back and insist that they fix it, or work with you on a solution.

However, I noticed something right off the bat. I bet you have an inadequate power supply. Your video card requires a lot of power under load. If you put a 500 watt quality power supply in the system (is yours a quality one now?) and the problem goes away, you have your answer.

I have also read that some ATI drivers seem to have a problem with this card. You have the drivers installed that came with the card?

just to clear things up a bit.

before taking the comp for repairs, my specs were similar, just i had a different motherboard and a ATI x1950 Pro ICQ3 AGP.

after taking it in for a checkup, the people find out that the problem was the mother board heating up.

they replaced the motherboard with a new one. in doing so, i required a new CPU, DDR-2 RAM and had to get the 512mb ati x1950 gt which is PCI express.

for a while, the issue of random shutting down wasnt there, but i did have my suspicions of the power supply being an issue, because the comp did shut down on 3 occasions while playing a game that required a lot of cpu and gfx.

i'd like to thank you for ur reply. I'm pretty sure i have the latest drivers for my gfx card. but anyways more to the point, do you believe that the power supply could be the only issue? as i am planning to reformat my comp because of some issues with spyware/adware/viruses etc.