Compatible Support Forums
jerrylite

Outlook Express 6 Compact messages- OK or Cancel

Hello,

I have seen the OE message when you close OE to " to free up disk space, OE can compact messages.......OK or Cancel", a few times. It always went away, I thought because I did something like delete many 'deleted, sent' messages, etc, or changed a setting in options, to stop this unwanted message everytime I close OE.

Anyway, I can't get rid of the message this time for each time OE is closed, and can't remember how I stopped it the previous times, (or did it go away on it's own?)

Maybe a recent XP patch has changed somthing?

I am running XP-Media Center 2005.

Does anyone know how to stop this message from appearing when OE is closed?

Thanking You............

Yeh, I've sometimes had that notification. I do a fair amount of e-mailing using OE6 (under winXP SP2) and it pops up about once a week. I therefore don't consider it much of an annoyance. I simply agree to it doing the compacting and it does it, all within just a few seconds.

You might be right, that there's a way of stopping it coming up, but I don't recall any such setting. Somewhere like the Advanced tab of Tools/Internet Options (in IE) would be the place to look.

If you're getting it coming up quite often, then it might help to defragment your XP partition. Compared to Win2K, I'm finding that WinXP's partition requires defragmenting far more often.

Actually, there is no way to stop this pop-up. It is based upon a counter that is not even reset even if you have only just compacted the OE database. So, it is an annoyance, but one that is not terribly intrusive.

Thanks for the info on this. I thought I read somewhere that this message was tied to a counter, but then I thought......I first saw this message about 1 year ago, and it's been gone for almost that long. So, I just figured that I found a way to cancel it. I think it came back one other time, and again, it was gone in a short time??

I just wonder why for 99% of the time, it has not been there. (until now, it been here for 3 weeks)

Oh well, like you say, it's not a big deal.

Thanks for the replies.

I found that the pop up (OE 6, WinXPSP2)can be eliminated as follows:

Close OE, Run "regedit", Select "My Computer", select "Edit", Select "Find", Type "Compact Check Counter", when found, highlite it and "Right Click", Select "Modify", Change the number to "0". Close the registry. That should do it.

JCB

My reply to eliminate the pop up contained an error. When you select "Find", type "Compact Check Count", not Counter.

Sorry

JCB