Compatible Support Forums
Happosai420

Help removing a Dual boot with WinXP

I have Windows XP installed installed on two different hard drives, drive C and drive D. Drive C seems to be the main drive because I can only boot from that drive. I wish to make drive D the main drive, as drive C is dying on me. Because drive C is dying on me, there are times that I cannot access the drive. How can I make drive D the main drive without losing my setep for the drive?

This actually depends on whether the two drives are on the same physical disk or on seperate ones. If the are on seperate physical drives, then you will have to change the jumper settings. Most HDDs have these charted out on the top of the drives themselves. If not, then you'll have to look at the manufacturers web site for specific instructions.

In case you aren't sure, you are going to want to make the D:\ drive the Primary/Master drive and the C:\ drive the Slave drive.

They are separate drives.Drive C is Pata, and Drive D is Sata.Drive D depends on Drive C for Boot Info even though it has its own copy of windows XP installed on it.

It's pretty easy to make the change. All you need to do is make the proper adjustments to the jumper settings. Just take a look at the top on your HDDs for the settings, making PATA the slave drive and SATA the primary/master. It may take a couple of tries before you get it right, though (enter CMOS to check that the system can read the drives properly). If you do it correctly, then you shouldn't need to do anything else besides booting up.