Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vipejc

Removing Programs to Free Up RAM?

Hi:

I want to streamline my PC as much as possible. Thus, please tell me if removing the following programs from my PC is safe to free up RAM:

Compaq Organize

HP Deskjet Preloaded Printer Drivers

HP PSC & OfficeJet 3.0

InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2

InterVideo WinDVD Player

Memories Disk Creator 2.0

MusicMatch Jukebox

RecordNow!

Photosmart 140, 240, 7200, 7600, 7700, 7900 Series

Removing programs does not free up RAM. It only frees up space on your HDD. If you are trying to speed up your PC, what you need to do is go through your services and find out what does not need to be running. You can prevent those services from starting up by editting MSCONFIG.

To do so, click Start | Run, then type in msconfig. Only edit the startup tab; this is very important, as modification to the other tabs could create some insanely bad issues for you.

If you still desire more performance, you can increase the amount of virtual memory, which uses your HDD space as RAM. To do this, go to your system properties (hold down the Windows key and hit Pause|Break), click the Advanced tab, click the Settings tab under the Performance section, then click the Advanced tab and the Change button under the Virtual Memory section. After you make the changes, make sure that you click the Set button, then OK out of all windows.