Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
quety101

Dual Boot question

Hi

I'm driving myself crazy over installing a dual boot system of XP and Fedora 4. My Computer is currently set up as follows: 1 IDE Hard drive partitioned into 2. 1 for the Windows OS files and another partition for general files (Both NTFS). I then have 2 large ATA drives. 1 is currently in use with various stuff on it while the other is currently empty.

I planned to have Linux on this empty ATA drive. I have been able to d/l the F4 DVD .iso and get it working but when it comes to choosing a HD to install to i can only see the 2 ATA drives present. It seems to not see the Windows HD at all. Is this what supposed to be happening?

I proceeded and installed the OS choosing the MBR on sbda (i think) so that hopefully the grub would load on restart. But Win XP always automatically starts. I think it has to do with the IDE drive not being recognised, is there anyone who can shed any light?

Thanks in advance

Fedora Core 4 is too old to recognize most current hardware, espcially motherboard chips with SATA. You need to download Fedora Core 6. FC 4 is not supported properly any longer and you will find FC 6 much easier to use.

In fact, I am testing FC7 test now and really love it! But, I would not recommend this version, as it is still in testing.

In terms of the Grub problem, you need to have grub on the drive that is set to boot in the bios, namely the IDE drive.

If you want a technical guide to installing Fedora, see my article about installing FC 5, located here. There are also great guides elsewhere on the Internet, including the Fedora web page.