Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

Any problems with the Google Toolbar?

Am just wondering if anyone's had any problems at all with the multi-iconed Google toolbar for Internet Explorer, that's widely available? I myself don't have the Google toolbar at present and am thinking of perhaps installing it. What do all those extras in the Google toolbar give you? Anything genuinely useful, or are they just annoyances? Also, any known bugs? My current edition of IE is IE6. OS is WinXP SP2.

I love the google toolbar, It has a pop up blocker and there is a small icon for gmail and many neat tools as in translate, auto link, froggle for shopping , spell check. You should try it out and see if you like it awhile, I myself recommend it.

Thanks for your comment, Johni.

What I was wondering was whether a whole horizontal bar for it, at the head of IE6, was wasteful or not. I very much doubt whether I'd use more than the simple Google box.

Can components of the Google toolbar be individually moved into one of IE's toolbars?

A shortcut to gmail would be handy, as I do use gmail.

One other thing I've been worrying about is whether Google's pop-up blocker will interfere with IE6's own pop-up blocker. Does it? Are you using IE6/IE7?

Honestly, the Google Toolbar is mad annoying. For those sites which require the pop-up blocker to be disabled in IE, you not only have to do that but also have to turn off the Google Toolbar. There are some other annoying feature that go along with it and it eats up more resources than necessary.

My advice: don't install it. Unless you really don't know what you're doing on a computer or on the Internet, then you don't need it.

Well, if I DID install it, it'd save me having to always go to the address box in IE and pull down the menu, to search for www.google.com. To get into my gmail, I also currently have to do that. But if the Google toolbar does other nasty things, I'll totally reconsider installing it. I'll hang back from installing it for a while, till perhaps more users have given their opinions.

The Google add-in in Firefox was simple and troublefree. I gave up using Firefox some while ago, though, as that browser had become simply too buggy and slow.

Packman, why don't you just make a bookmark for gmail in IE?