Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mark ogden

sp2 download killed my computer

Help! Does anyone have any ideas here's the chain of events; Installed xp professional sp1 went to microsoft website downloaded all the updates then downloaded and installed sp2 when it finished went to restart the computer and it just kept starting over and over and over again. It would never boot completely so I assumed something went wrong with the program at installation first tried to repair it, then tried to restore to previous point at the beginning of updates but none of this worked. So I thought i'd start over reformated the drive tried to install a fresh copy on it it took an entire day to do at the end it wouldn't boot, repeated this process again same problem took a new hard drive reinstalled the os and it works but is extremely slow i'm mean extremely, could my bios have been affected by the sp2 update? If so what do I do? If not then what can it be? I appreciate any advice I can get.

You might look at two things. Bring up your Event Viewer (Settings-Control Panel-Administrative Tools) and check to see if there are any error messages and what process is doing it.

Then, right click on My Computer, Properties, and Select Hardware tab and see if the drivers that are installed are the correct ones for your Hardware.

I couldnt find any error messages because i didnt know how to get where you said to go, even though you gave me the directions, but i did go in hardware and my video card is new and the driver is not installed so i tried to install the driver off the cd, as im trying to install i get error messages and the computer freezes up, shut down once, and always terminates the installation, could this card be causing all my problems? Before i installed the SP2 update originally, this driver worked fine, now i cant seem to install the driver, any ideas?

I have no idea what your vidcard is, but I'd suggest dwnlding the newest driver for it, from the manufacturer's website. You have SP2, with the latest version of DX9, you probably need the latest version of the vidcard driver.

Posting full system specs when asking a question is also very helpful, it gives us an idea of what we're dealing with, makes it much easier to narrow down the possible problem(s). smile

I was given this computer by a friend who sells them at auction, it used to be a server in an office i assume,when I got it it had A card with two hard drives attached I think he called them scuzzy's or something like that, I tried to load XP Professional SP1 onto it and it wouldnt recognize the hard drive as being conected to the computer, so I formatted A seagate 120 G regular drive I had,And I bought a NVIDA PNY VERTO GeForce Fx5200 video card, and installed SP1

The computer is a

DELL precision workstation MT 530 XEON 2.40GHz

2.00GB ram all worked fine for about a week until I bought some music software that required minimum SP2 when I updated the computer would not boot. So I re formatted the drive and re installed SP1 Now the only device with no driver is the NVIDA

card when I try to install off the CD the install will not complete the computer shuts down half way thru by itself.

SP2 does a lot of bad things and that's why I didn't install it again after I cleaned down last. I used to have a SCSI scanner that worked fine using pre-SP2 version. However, after SP2 was installed, it lost my scanner even though the hardware properties said it was "working correctly". It didn't show up on the list of SCSI devices. My paint packages etc that used the scanner told me there were no twain devices that they could use. Re-installed XP without the patch and the scanner works fine again.

This is not the only hardware that gets lost after SP2 is installed. I've heard of DVD writers, internal modems and even hard disks that suddenly don't exist any more after the patch.

I think that I am out of luck, this thing is trash now I think sp2 did something deep inside. already did 2 fresh installs of sp1, cant load the graphics driver from cd or web site, just tried to load system suite to create a check point and I was giong to try to re install sp2 to see if this would fix my problem,now the computer will not boot at all,never got to the point to create the check point. now after hearing youre story I hesitate to even try to re install sp2.