Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snappleman

Could use quick help w/ ntoskrnl.exe error (WinXP)

Hey guys, last night I restarted my comp only to find that my notsknrl.exe is corrupt or missing.

The computer is running Win XP sp2 Home ed., and I built this thing brand new about two months ago.

Now, I have the XP disc w/ me and I've used the recovery console to copy a the file into system32 from the driver cache, and even though it says the file has been copied successfully, I still can't get to windows.

The HD was oem (newegg.com), and I'm beginning to wonder if it has died already. However, I didn't have much saved on there that I can't get back, so I"m not totally against a fresh install of Win XP, formatting the HD, or simply buying a new one (although I"d like to avoid that hassle...).

Anyone want to help?

I have seen this error come up when someone tries to dual boot a computer and the parameters are written incorrectly in the boot.ini, otherwise, it usually is a hard disk problem.

Okay, would you suggest I rewrite the boot.ini, or just try to copy the boot.ini, ntoskrnl.exe, ntldr, and ntldetect.com stuff back in from the winxp cd? (and no i'm not dual-booting, just one version of winxp home)

On another note, I tried expanding ntoskrnl.exe, except expand is not recognized, however, copy is but Access is Denied... so I can't do that.

Any ideas?

Can you boot into safe mode? If so, run MSCONFIG from the Run command. You can select different types of boot sequences which can help you determine what exactly is causing the problem.

If you are unsure how to use MSCONFIG, I'd suggest reading up on it first.