Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xetenor

Whats the difference between Ultra DMA and a normal IDE hard

Dear reader,

I am wondering what the difference is. Is it faster using a Ultra DMA hard drive than a normal IDE hard drive? I have a western digital IDE hard drive...which is slow. What about those 5200 RPM and 7200 RPM hard drives? Which are Ultra DMA? What hard drive is a really good value hard drive that gives good performance and works quietly? I am going to buy a second PC, which I hope will have these features:

Pentium 3 600 Mhz

128 SDRAM (133 mhz)

CD-Writer

Slow Windows 98

30 Gig Ultra DMA hard drive

Vortex 2 sound card

No monitor, because I have two already.

Thank you very much for your replies, and I hope that we get some good information about some other hardware that work in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 Professional as well.

------------------

Windows 2000 Pro owns!

Ultra DMA has a faster transfer rate. 7200 rpm drives have faster access rate. You should look for one that is 7200 rpm and UDMA66 for the best performance if you have a controller card that supports UDMA66 like HPT 366 or a Promise. I have heard that IBM actually makes the best 7200 drives. I don't think any company out there make drives that are not UDMA 33 at least.

I have just got an IBM 34GXP 20.5 gb also available in 34GB version. It is fast, 7200rpm and has a good bench mark and review at www.storagereview.com.

For the fastest drive, u have to get a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 40, but some peeps have been moaning about them in the forum on Storage review.

Dear reader,

Thanks for your reply. I see now. I also need a controller...how interesting.

------------------

Windows 2000 Pro owns!

Regular IDE drives use CPU clock cicles to transfer data from memory and back, this ofcorse is the old way. DMA is a method of moving a data from ram to HD without CPU involvment. This is why if u enable DMA in the bios for ya HD it will seem to work faster.

DMA --> Direct Memory Access

[This message has been edited by Igor (edited 13 March 2000).]

Dear Igor,

Thanks for that helpful information. I will not forget it.

Regards,

Xetenor

------------------

Windows 2000 Pro owns!