system

aopen s661fxm motherboard

windows xp sp2

celeron 2.6

512mb+256mbram

300gb+40gb HD

soundblaster live5.1

19in lcd widescreen

ok so I just bought a second hand card off ebay, a nvidia mx440 agp8x 128mb. Now my motherboard is supposedly 8x compatible. First I installed it, and neither the motherboard or agp card had any signal coming out (duh!) I forgot to uninstall the drivers. So I took the card back out, started up and uninstalled the motherboard video drivers, turned off and reinstalled the card, and voila! the card was working, however not properly frown Basically, when booting, it has vertical lines in which the text is missing, ie

what should be

the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog

reads on the screen

th ui k br wn f x ump d o er the la y do

this also happens in the cmos setup page.

and when it goes to "windows xp loading" stage of bootup, the picture has a couple of dodgy colours in it.

it also drops the signal from the card after "windows xp loading" and i dont get to the login page, the monitor just says "no signal"

I can get around that and boot in safe mode or vga boot mode ok, and then login. i think it may be becase my resolution was set pretty high before i did the install?? Anyway in safe mode the screen looks normalish, but has a pinstripe effect, where say every 10pixels or so theres is a 2-3 pixel stripe of the wrong colour. It is equally spaced all over the screen. I can still play videos, however they have the pinstripe effect. Have not tried games yet. The device manager says the card is working fine, and of course i have installed the nvidia driver from their site. I have also upgraded the mobo bios thinking that might be the cause, but it didnt change anything. I tried another monitor it had the same effects.

Anyway from what ive described, would anyone be able to determine whether the card is screwed or i have left something out of the install? I have spent hours trying to fix it with nooo sucess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! laugh

thanks

Well sorry but I would have to say you have learned a lesson about buying a second hand card of e-bay,. your card is fried and I would not bother with it anymore. considering you can get that card for around 20 bucks brand new I don't know why you would have bothered buying one off e-bay.

Also that card is really not the best and it was not that good even when it came out so you might want to look at getting something else.

S

So its definatly the card? No way a software or setup issue could cause this problem?

Just want to make sure before i abuse the mofo who sold me a "perfect working card" frown

Its just going to be a pain in the ass to return because it came bundled with a soundcard i want to keep... so i guess ill have to negotiate what its worth...

thanks for your help even if i cant fix the problem

Buying second hand is not a good idea at all. Especially for a relic like an MX440, which is basically a re-badged GeForce 2 GTS chip.

You did everything right in installing the card, but also make sure that you disable the onboard video in the BIOS as well as removing it's drivers in Windows. Normally, the BIOS uses an automatic detection and disables the onboard when the AGP or PCI-E slots are in use, but it always helps to make sure.

If you are keeping the good ol' AGP spec, I'd recommend you pick up something a little more recent. The 7600 GS/GT series has arrived in AGP, as well as the X1600/1650 series. If you must get an older card due to money or what not, go with an older X600/X700 or even the tried-and-true 9600 XTs. Stay away from the GeForce FX series, but the 6600 GS/GT and the 6800s are damn decent as well.

Good luck.