Compatible Support Forums
4m5t3l

corrupt downloads, can't install win xp

A while ago my computer started going nuts, one program after the other had to be shut down. Also there were weird files with german names on my computer and i don't use that language, so i figured there was a virus and decided to format c: with windows and everything on it.

however reinstalling windows hasn't worked properly, my official cd wasn't working and two other ones are having problems as well, a couple of files had to be skipped during installation and there were plenty of other problems as well (random reboots, blue screens of death, disk drive installation files not being found, and my favorite "can't install system" with a gorgeous picture of a computer next to it")

but i managed to get a botched installation, however now the majority of drivers and programs i download it says are corrupt, however when i extract them, the one time they are corrupt, the other time they aren't, my friend tells me to burn some brilliant linux cd called breezy, however i can't even install a proper burning program...

my guess is that there's something wrong with my motherboard, but i dunknow nuthing about computers.

here are some system specs:

win xp pro SP2 (however it's integrity is dubious)

amd athlon xp 2600+

512 mb ram

asrock motherboard k7vt4+

geforce 6600 AGP video card

justlink 48x12x48 cd writer

and some error specs:

memory_management 0x0000001a

irql_not_less_or_equal 0x0000000a

any help would be appreciated.

MW

Most times that I have issues like this it is related to bad RAM,

I see you only have 512 so taking out a stick is not an option unless you are using 2 x 256. if you are using two sticks take one out and try again.If you still get the issue then swap the sticks, otherwise if you have some spare RAM try that.

I would try that before doing a whole MOBO swap and you can get some half decent RAM pretty cheap so try that first.

S

That did it.

I've taken one out, and so far have had no problems, just downloaded a 800 mb file, 300 mb file, and some other stuff, all no problems.

Now i can take care of the other problems i've been having as well, so thanks a lot

MW