Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bchilly

Adding new hardware

I just had windows re-installed on my PC and whenever I connect a USB device it makes that Do-Dum sound but nothing else happens - it doesn't install my hardware. The only way it will work is if I enter device manager right click on the device (which has a question mark icon) and select Update Driver. Also when I click the icon that appears next to the time and press 'Safely remove device' it doesn't show the bubble to say it is safe to remove.

Any ideas?

Did you install the latest chipset/inf drivers for your motherboard yet ?!?

This means if your motherboard is based on a Intel chipset, then you should d/l the latest INF drivers from their website and reboot after installation and try this USB device once again.

Also, I'm assuming you are using one of the onboard USB ports and not a third party controller card, correct ?!?

If not then you need to go to that cards manufacturers website and make sure they don't have some proprietary drivers for your OS...

I just went to Gigabyte's website and noticed this motherboard is based on an SiS chipset.

Well with my experience I've had both good and bad luck with this chipset manufacturer. Some of their models seem to work flawlessly and others are not quite so good.

Hope the drivers resolve your issue otherwise I would recommend getting a third party USB card for using external USB devices.

It doesn't work, the installer loads and then it says 'The hardware device was not detected. Try removing it and installing again.'