Compatible Support Forums
Kain Bloodstone

USB Device Not Recognized (Malfunction)

Probleme: USB Device Not Recognized

I have a USB Card Reader. Because the wire was too short, i replaced it with a longer wire. But the computer stop recognizing it frown .

Plz, help.

If your new USB wire is less than 10 feet in length, your machine should recognize the device OK. Longer than 10 feet and problems will arise.

Read pages 1-5 and see if any of those fixes can help you?? Report back please.

laugh

I lost my USB ports a few days ago and having tried everything I could find on the net (short of re-installing Windows) the following worked for me: Enter your BIOS during boot and look for 'Legacy USB Ports'. The setting was ENABLED and out of interest I changed it to DISABLED, my USB ports are now working again! I hadn't touched my BIOS settings prior to losing USB and 'restoring defaults' in my BIOS ENABLED Legacy USB. I'm running Windows XP Home on a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Pro notebook. Good luck. Nigel

Hey all, sorry for the hiatas...

I've been in Florida the last week for vacation.

Thx for the replies on IRQ's and BIOs, I'll check into those possible solutions tomorrow and let you all know what I come up with.

*** Update ***

After one whole day with working USB ports I shut my laptop down and when I powered it up again they'd gone... 'USB device not recognized'! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I spoke too soon! frown

Nigel

On my system... the new shiny USB 2.0 card doesn't play nice with my aging ASUS mobo w/USB 1.1 built in.

I quit using the USB 2.0 card because it caused my system to shut down at random several times per day.

Since I am using the USB KVM switch in the native 1.1 slots, the system is running without any problem.

If in the 2.0 USB slot... problems occur within a short amount of time.

Good luck to all, I hope this helps someone out there.

Hello guys. I just joined the forums due this discussion which is the best I have seen of any other site on the topic.

I am having the same problem on 3 out of 4 USB devices on my gateway laptop computer running windows XP.

The problem might have arose from either a 30gig iPod video, a 2.4ghz logitech wireless mouse, or one of three external hard drives. I am pretty sure it was the iPod, however.

I have read all 100 posts on this thred (or however many there really are) and I have tried all the fixed that would seem to work. Unplugging the power cord (and the battery), restacking the usb drivers, um yeah that's pretty much it (as far as I remember), but I tried those many many times with all sorts of different combinations. I am about to reformat and install windows vista which I need to upgrade to anyways. I am hoping that will solve the problem even though you guys have said it doesn't. I just have nothing else to try.

I really hope someone can find a solution to this frustrating problem.

*** Update 2 ***

Following a few days of experimenting I can confirm that in my case the problem is hardware. When I lose USB a firm thump on the left side of my notebook will restore the two ports beneath and also the two at the rear. My notebook is just over a year and well-travelled so something common to all of my ports is clearly loose or more likely in need of soldering. Nigel

Ive actually been avoiding my XP Computer recently because of the USB problems, I've been using my Vista Laptop lol, which is where I'm posting from right now. It has its own suite of NEW problems, but at least I've been able to fix all the problems I've found with Vista so far.

Problematic, to my knowledge no one has tried to fix the problem by up[censored] to Vista, but its worth a shot, I'd be very interested in hearing how that turns out.

59Rocker, yeah, I know that most of the issues concerning this problem seem to be hardware. But I'm one of those hard headed *bleeps* that refuse to believe that lol. The fact that Microsoft knows about this problem and just can't seem to find a fix, lead me to believe that it is not a Hardware problem as it is a Software Bug in the XP code. Your computer companies and manufacturers are usually willing to jump the gun on 'replacing your mother board' because that puts money into their pocket.

I'm a firm believer that I should fix all computer problems myself. Theres enough information on the internet to find and troubleshoot just about any computer problem that may arise (excluding this one for some odd reason). The people who fix your computers are people just like you and me. They use the same Micro Tools that we do, the open the case the same way we do, and they replace your defective parts the same way we could. So why pay the outrageous price tag and drop it off to pay somebody by the hour what you could do yourself in a few hours tops at the price of the part you need?

All that aside tho, I'm totally stumped on this issue. I still need to try a Registry Default and IRQ fix.... But I can't bring myself to mess with my XP computer anymore. Perhaps tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm glad to know that this thread has turned out to be the most involved thread on the net about this problem. Because I started off on the same search around Christmas of last year, and found nothing that helped. Thats when I came here and started this thread. We are now 6 pages in and possibly closer to a fix. I'm sure that eventually someone will see this and be like "heres your fix".

*cough* Microsoft *cough* Pleaaaaase? Haven't we been good to you????

My ipod shuffe second generation (1 Gb) isn´t working with my PC, ASUS 2A7N266-VM, Slot A AMD Athlon, nVidia nForce chipset, Bios up-to-dated, and so on. The problem occurs both with Windows 2000 or XP. Any other USB device (MP3 player, pendrive) have been worked fine is this computer. The PC don´t recognize the USB device. The ipod blinks yellow light and nothing more. But I am sure the this ipod is working fine in other computers, like with ASRock K7S41 motherboard PC, as with Win2000 or WinXP. Is there specific problems with some kind of ASUS motherboard or I got a hardware problem with my PC? Thanks a lot for any help.

Hi,

You know, I've been reading this post and have had a problem where some of the USB are devices are not working while others do. And I have read stuff about people saying; "It will be nice when somebody can tell us how to fix it.", and you know something, I AM THAT PERSON! I think?

I just installed a Logitech webcam on one of my computers but decided to move it to another computer, and when I uninstalled it from the first computer, some of the devices stopped working. I didn't notice it right away, but when I did, I started searching the net and found this website. I tried some of the stuff here but none of that fixed it. But then I remembered reading somewhere that Logitech makes bad drivers. So I thought that maybe I'd try installing the webcam again, and guess what, it fixed it. When I uninstalled it, the problem started again, so I intalled it again and the problem went away.

After all I went through, I feel like there is a law suite against Logitech coming. Last time I EVER bye logitech GARBAGE!

Ambassador,

Could you be a bit more specific?

You say that all you had to do was uninstall and reinstall logitech software?

I was never really a big fan of logitech software in the first place, I love the product, but I hate the software. I currently use a USB Trackman Mouseball (by logitech). But ever since my usb's died, I've had it hooked up in the usb/ps2 converter.

Logitech software is something that never crossed my mind. I'll go ahead and try the install of logitech software (even tho i loathe it) just to see if it fixes anything.

Thanks for the input Ambassador.

Peterh,

I'm using Intel 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2

'' '' 24D4

'' '' 24D7

'' '' 24DE

And

Intel 82801EB Enhanced USB2 Universal Host Controller - 24DD

If that helps at all.

Ok, I tried Installing Logitech Mouseware (current version 9.0.7 or something like that), but to no avail. I'm still experiencing the USB Malfunction Problems. I still need to try a reghack and a IRQ fix tho..so we'll see after that.

Ok, last update for today.

I tried the BIOS reset, did nothing.

BTW, I'm running ASUS Mobo P4C800-E, BIOS Rev. 1017, P4 3.2hgz 486 Pin Chipset.

I also investigated the IRQ thing. My Vid Card (ATI Radeon 9550SE), shares an IRQ port (16) with one of my USB Controllers. It says there is no complications, but I can't change it either, its grayed out. So no fix there either.

Lastly I tried the RegEdit thing where you look into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\Vid_xxxxx

folders. Where I didn't find anything folder AT ALL labeled Unknown Device (yes I tried plugging in my usb devices while searching..nothing) Also, I never found the folder 'CSS' but CurrentControlSet was the closest to it.

I've exhausted all options on the thread at this point now.....still need help.

Well, I just bought a webcam and decided it would be better on another computer, so I moved it. But when I uninstalled the software for my webcam on the first computer, it deleted some sort of driver that the other devices require to operate. And when I installed the software again it apparently put the driver back, causing the other devices to work again. I did this twice to confirm.

My advice is this: If you uninstalled some USB device when your problem started, install it again. (If you ever had any USB device on your computer and you don't have it on that computer anymore then try installing it on that computer again, I think it's worth a try.)

Another thing you can do is to go in to the Device Manager and look for "USB 2.0 Root Hub" Or something named like that, and open the properties for it, click on the "Driver" tab, click on "Update Driver", click "Next", select "Display a list of known drivers", click on "Next", select "Show all hardware of this device class", and start browsing around trying to install different drivers.

I really feel for you all, I know what you're going through because it happened to me. I will do my BEST to help.

P.S.

I'm sorry if it's hard to understand what I'm talking about but I have a busy week, therefor I have to be quick when I write this stuff.

i made progress by starting to use the USB ports on the back of my Toshiba Satellite laptop. At least now I can occasionally get my laptop to recognize the iPod Shuffle for a few seconds. I read that the front USB ports don't have enough power. Seems like that might be true.

So, now i still usually get a "USB Device Not Recognized", but when I am able to get into iTunes and it almost recognized my shuffle, it says 'bad format', and then says 'error' when it attempts to format the iPod.

i have a new ipod and know i'll be able to use it at work computer. my laptop usb ports died a few months ago, so i sold my ipod. can't use my external hard drive, printer, nada - so it's something with the hardware/windows, for sure.

Hi, decided to join in, have read all of this thread, and have tried most things.

My problem is with my Trust 1200 Graphics tablet, which i have had since december 2003- no problems with it, ever.

But I got a new computer this january... and wahey, look what little message pops up when i connect it! bah.

(Some details...

Acer AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.01 GHz, XP Media Center Edition, service pack 2, version 2002. Ask if you need more. Its brand new so i wouldnt think anything would be outta date, has all the updates.)

I tried the unplugging thing (30mins). Nope

Checked BIOS. Nope

Deleted Registry unknown file crap... and it worked!.... for a few seconds anyway, then i think it fixed itself back to unknown device.

Something to note- it workes fine on another, similar computer, no problems at all... so i thought Id try and export the registry files from the pc it works on and copy them into my unknown device registry file.... this time when i plugged it in, it came up 'usb human interface device' but sadly didnt work... it was a longshot, lol!

So yeah... if anyone wants to try that method they should... may work for them... and if anyone has any suggestions for me, yay! smile

Cheers, penguin

Alright so a quick update: as I presumed windows vista did not solve the problem.

I do have a logitech mouse just for the record but I never installed any software for it.

Last thing: if this was just some kind of driver problem, wouldn't reformatting have fixed it?

Well, I guess I had a unique problem if my solution didn't work for any of you. I guess you could always just harass the motherboard mfg or even Microsoft to try getting them to fix it.

I'm sorry but I can't think of anything else that would fix the problem.

I have a m audio midiman 4x4 usb and a logitech optical mouse plugged in to the usb ports on the mobo. I plugged my lexmark usb printer into the front usb port. The printer was turned on when I plugged it into the usb port. Suddently my mouse ceased to move the pointer, but still was getting power (the laser was still on). At this point my m audio midiman 4x4 was still operational. So I unplugged the midiman and mouse, then plugged the mouse into midiman's port. No joy. I then plugged the midiman back into its port, and it didn't work.

At this point I was getting the infamous "USB Device Not Recognized" bubble. So I proceded to update all my drivers, which was very hard due to the fact my mouse didn't work. No joy. I uninstalled all the usb controllers from the device manager window, rebooted the pc, the drivers reinstalled upon reboot but no joy there. I did make sure the mouse and midiman still functioned correctly on my laptop.

I then pressed cntl + r, for the run dialog, and typed in msinfo32 to run system info. I expanded the "Software Enviroment" and selected "windows error reporting." I pinpointed exactly when the problems began and saw a list of the same error over and over again.

"3/20/2007 12:53 PM MsiInstaller Detection of product '{C6F5B6CF-609C-428E-876F-CA83176C021B}', feature 'Complete' failed during request for component '{6EA56B47-0667-460E-A91B-53AA80E3616D}' "

have no idea if this has anything to do with the problem, just wanted y'all to see what I found just in case one of you recognized it.

well after all that I finally found this forum (with my laptop). So I tried the "usb restack". But I didn't delete my usb controllers first. I just shutdown, turn off the power supply, and unplug the power cord. I left it like that for 45min, i went to mcdonalds, came back plugged the power back in, turn the power supply on, and booted. Joy joy joy my mouse works. but my midiman don't, but I think I just need to reinstall the drivers for that (the midiman has always been a little sensitive).

as a side note, if the power off thing didn't work I was going to go into c:/windows/system and delete the usbport.sys, and usbhost.sys files manually then reboot. don't know if windows would automatically downloaded new ones, but I told my self I would find new ones somewhere.

hope this helps and thank you guys so much, I was about to rip my hair out, and get a pci-e usb card

*sigh* my poor usb's lol.

Ambassador, I'll go ahead and try your re-installing ALL former usb programs, just as a last ditch effort...

I don't wanna spend the money for a new mobo, but I might be out of options.

Guys,

Here's my problem and the solution that worked for me.

As usual, I take no responsibility for what this does to your pc,

should you try this and screw thing up it's your responsibility.

DELL Precision 390 WindowsXP pro SP2, a brand new PC.

Sony Ericsson W300I phone.

I plugged the phone into the USB port and the USB mouse died and stayed dead - same problem as everyone else. I tried the usual fixes to no avail.

Next I tried booting the PC using Linux Knoppix (For those in the dark, Linux is an alternative operating system to Windows and dosen't use any Microsoft code or configuration settings whatsoever), thus eliminating WindowsXP and the c:\ drive from the equation. Result, mouse still wouldn't work, so the problem isn't with WindowsXP or the registry.

Next re-booted WindowsXP, went to the control-panel/administrative-tools/computer-management tool and selected the Device manager. I then deleted each of the Universal Serial Bus controllers until my USB keyboard died. I then shut down the PC, unplugged it from the mains, waited five minutes then re-booted.

Result - problem solved, the mouse now works and so does the phone.

I therefor suspect that the problem lies somewhere with the non-volatile memory that holds USB settings, I guess that if these settings are wiped by the computer management tool/power cut, they are rebuilt from scratch when the system is re-powered/booted.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys.

Andy,

The operation you describe is called "Restacking the USB Drives"

Which indeed worked for me once.

But the problem came back again soon after, and restacking the usb's a 2nd time didn't cure it.

Hi everyone. I've been having just about the same problem here. A while back I was using a Dell Pentium 4 PC and my iPod/iTunes worked fine with that (although the PC itself was horrid) but recently after building myself a new Core2Duo-based PC, I've not been able to get Windows XP to recognise my ipod. Every time I plug in the ipod the same "USB Device Not Recognized" bubble pops up and under device manager it shows up as "Unknown Device".

I've searched the web for 3 days already and I've done every thing suggested with the exception of uninstalling all my usb drivers. The reason I did not try this is cos I'm using a USB keyboard and mouse and am afraid that I will not be able to use the computer at all if they're not recognised (due to drivers being uninstalled plus I don't readily have a ps2 mouse/keyboard at the moment), although I'm not sure if this will be the case as my BIOS appears to support USB mice/keyboards at startup (it can be disabled as well).

The weird thing is that all my other USB devices work with absolutely no problem whatsoever, no matter which USB port I plug them into. Apart from the keyboard and mouse I'm also using a Canon printer, a Wacom tablet and at times I plug in my Playstation Portable to transfer stuff to and from my pc - all via USB, and with no problem at all. The only thing that seems to be causing this is the iPod.

I really hope that this is some kinda software bug that can and will be ironed out soon. I'm not a fanboy, but I like Apple products and I could have bought any MP3 player but chose the (generally more expensive) iPod cos I've never had a problem with Apple's stuff in the past. I'm not jumping to conclusions, don't get me wrong, but I would be really disappointed if this is something that's going to cause me to shell out more money to fix.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I tried plugging the ipod into my sister's PC and the same problem persists. With both my PC and her's, the iPod charges thru the USB connection but refuses to be recognized, not even as a drive under "My Computer".