Compatible Support Forums
Kain Bloodstone

USB Device Not Recognized (Malfunction)

I'm starting to have this same problem as well with my laptop and USB printer. I don't think it's the USB ports themselves because I've tried plugging another device into the port where the malfunctioning device would always be and there are no problems. The thing is I've kept that malfunctioning device unplugged for a while which is what probably caused the problem. I've tried adding the USB key in the registry and that didn't work (unless I did it wrong?), and I've also unplugged my laptop and even pulled out the battery but still the problem persists. I haven't tried uninstalling the USB root hubs though. Do you just uninstall the ones that say USB root hub? I'm confused, any help is really appreciated.

USB Device Not Recognized. I had this problem after installing driver/software for SAMSUNG YP-F1 XB. Worked fine as memory stick previously. You name it, I tried it - all failed to cure problem.

Then I shut system down, unplugged it and shorted the L to the N on the plug, an old trick but worth a try. Power back on and start up - problem solved.

The SAMSUNG does not like being removed when powered up either - some devices don't seem to mind! So if you do this out of habit or just plain forget, this might just get your system reset.

I have a similar problem with my USB Crystal Optical Mouse and the mouse is working erratically only and frequently is not recognised by Windows.

I tried the option with the USB key in the registry without any avail.

Are there any other options one could try?

System Information:

MSI Megabook GX700 Notebook

Intel Core2Duo T2300 2.0GHz

DDR2 RAM 2GB

Windows Vista Home Premium

Regards

Pete

I found this forum after experiencing the same issue and I think I've found my problem. I have a Samsung CLP-510 Laser Printer and an external LG Super Multi Drive GSA E10L. At first the samething would happen my dvd writer would bring up the USB malfunction error, well I decided to try and unplug the printer and that appears to have caused the issue or so it appears. If it comes back again I'll let everyone know.

System Info:

Dell Dimension 4700

Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz Dual Processor

Windows XP Media Center Edition

Thanks,

Luis

One more post won't hurt.

Dell Inspiron 700m running WinXP Pro SP2. My Garmin Quest has not been recognized off and on for about a year. In August it stopped being recognized at all. All other USB devices (USB Flash Drive, Sansa e250 MP3 PLayer, ATT 3125 Smartphone, flash card reader) work fine.

Interestingly, the Quest DOES work on this machine using a Targus USB hub. It DOES NOT work using direct connections to either port or to my IOGear hub nor my Startech hub (they may be the same internals)

This weekend I'm going to try the following in the order listed:

1: Spray some contact cleaner into the USB ports

2. Do the complete list compiled by amrita.

3. Buy another Targus hub.

My belief is this a combined hardware/software problem with neither side assuming the responsibility. Garmin tech support tried but it was over this fellow's head and they haven't had enough complaints to justify a full scale research project. They wrote the drivers. Somewhere along the line something is sitting on the margin and is just too damn sensitive.

I'll let you know how the weekend work goes.

Thanks to everyone for their input to this very useful thread. It's helped to know I'm not alone. :-)

I know it has been two months since any1 has posted on this topic but I had a problem similar to this my computer would freeze whenever I entered a USB device, after re-installing drivers, windows and among other things, had no luck. Then i opened my tower up and cleaned everything and unplugd main power cable and that as some1 ealier suggested, and also saw the small cables for the power for the usb and unpluggd and repluggd them back in. Restarted the computer after my problem was solved. It may just solve some people's problem. So i suggest you try it.

I've had the "USB device not recognised" problem with USB hard drives, and after struggling for some time tried the extremely simply solution suggested by someone here- turn off the PC, UNPLUG FROM MAINS, leave for 30 mins and re-start. I could hardly believe that it would work, but it did. (However, see PS at bottom of this post.)

More details of my case:

XP machine with service pack 2.

Problem first occurred when I had been using a 500GB LaCie USB hard drive happily from port on front of PC, and plugged a pen drive into an adjacent USB port. Suddenly Explorer showed the folder I had been working in (containing large number of folders containing a very large number of RAW & jpeg pictures) as empty- disaster!

On re-load, PC reported this USB hard drive as an unrecognised device.

I tried the drive in other USB ports on the same machine- same result.

I tried another LaCie USB hard drive in the same ports- also now unrecognised.

I tried other USB devices (eg mouse) and they worked fine. Seemed XP had turned against this particular device type.

I tried these hard drives on my laptop- no problem, worked fine.

I went into Control Panel / System and deleted all USB devices and hubs. Re-loaded. Problem unchanged.

Then found this forum, and the various suggestions people had had (like re-building system from scratch, and editing catalogue). Found the one about switching off, unplugging, and leaving for 30 mins (actually I left it a couple of hours).

Did nothing else (eg didn't this time delete the devices).

It worked! And it continues to work- the machine has been off and on since with no problem.

Two of us who have worked in computing all our lives are left amazed, and thankful to the person who came up with the idea. Still don't understand how it worked, but it did.

PS. However-

In a spirit of testing that everything remains fine, I've just now used "safely remove hardware" and unplugged the original drive, left a couple of minutes, then replugged and switched drive back on. I have the dreaded "device not recognised" again. Hopefully I now have the solution (will report back!)

Following on from the post above, I've now again recovered from "USB device not recognised" by switching off my PC and unplugging it from the mains, leaving it for more than 30 minutes, and switching on again. This has now worked twice and with two different USB drives. After recovery I've used the drives quite intensively to top up my backups.

One conclusion I've drawn from this experience is that unplugging and re-plugging USB hard drives (even when using XP's "Safely remove hardware") is a risky business. So I've ordered a PCI USB card which will give me four more USB ports, and mean that I can leave my USB drives permanently plugged in and leave vacant USB ports for plugging in stuff like my photo card reader and USB memory sticks.

Hello everyone. I am very frustrated with this issue and I hope someone can help me.

After my laptop caught the dreaded New Win32 virus, I realized that it was beyond my control and so I reinstalled my OS. Now I tried to install devices that used to work before the reinstallation. Now they don't work.

(The only devices that work correctly are my Western Digital external HDD and my IRiver mp3 player.)

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Before I move on, here are my Laptop specs.

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop

with Windows XP Media Center Edition version 2002 with

service pack 2

Intel Pentium M processor 1.60 GHz

1.60GHZ, 1.00 GB of RAM

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ok so, I follow installation guides correctly but these usb devices still don't work. For example, with my Dell printer, everything goes well with installation (its recognized correctly) until all of a sudden, the Found New Hardware wizard appears. I try to follow it but that doesn't work. I try to exit out of that and when I did, I get the problem with the Device occured. and that the device has malfunctioned and its not working properly. Now, the printer shows up as Hid instead of Dell 922 printer.

With my microsoft wireless mouse,you are supposed to be able to plug it in, sync it, and it starts to work. Instead, the found new hardware wizard appears (when it should not have) and it messes up the mouse by giving me the malfunction message. (In Device Manager, it shows up in Other devices as the correct mouse name. But there are no drivers on it (When plugged into my brother's Dell desktop, it works correctly and has two drivers on it). I copied those drivers into my laptop (one was not found on my laptop) and then tried to set those drivers up. Now I get Device Could not Start Code 10."

Other devices that required the software install first and then, when plugged in are supposed to work without the found new hardware wizard do not work.Once I plug it in, the laptop freezes for a good 2 minutes and the the Found New Hardware Wizard pops up.

I talked with Dell twice and installed the BIOS and Chipset and tried updates too. But my devices do not work even when I uninstall and try again. I tried everything that other people on the topic suggested but no luck. (I have not replaced the motherboard or bought a usb hub though).

I'm sorry if this was very lengthy, but I do hope I can get some help with this. I am very worried and stressed out. ANY help would be tremendously appreciated! Thank you ^_^

Hi everybody!

Boy, YOU ARE A GENIUS! It also worked for me. I had the same problem: inserting two pendrives simultaneously to the front ports on my computer. They worked fine for years, and yesterday they became unrecognizeable by inserting the second one. I also tried everything else you mentioned, and then I switched off mains. After 20-30 minutes my USB recognized my pendrives!

I think I have the explanation: frequent use of pendrives causes an electrostatical load to go through the USB port, that cannot be lead to the grounding. By switching off mains this electrostatic load can disperse to the body of the tower. A genial solution!

Thanks again! grin

one more this if it does that sumtimes u will need to returne it and get a new one my wife took my pc in the car with a usb hooked in for my gamepad and brok it i put back together but did that so just for ur fyi

My problem was almost exactly the same as Kain Bloodstones's with one exception his fix did not work on mine. Tried everything listed here.

Everything gets recognized in my USB ports except any drives (USB and Freegate Back UP)

Been fussing for 3 months trying everything. Then today for some reason I tried..

Using an expansion adapter - that goes from 1 USB input to 4

Plugged that in and plugged in my USB stick and VIOLA - recognized..

Tried it in the same thing with a different USB port and same results..

Catch - the adapters is only USB 1.1 So for some reason by restricting the USB port down to 1.1 it will recognize the USB drives, if left at 2.0 I always get error message.

I know this is not a real fix, but it must tell me something. (I'm not computer savy enough to really know what)

If someone here knows what that means and how it can be really fixed I'd love to hear.

For now I am happy with USB drives at 1.1

PS my wife has exact same computer system both running XP Pro, and hers never has had a problem - I can find nothing different on her system from mine.

I've been having the same problem that so many of you have - my USB devices are suddenly "not recognized" or reported as "malfunctioning." I have an iMac with the Intel processor, running Leopard on one side of a partitioned drive (this is also known as "the side that works") and Vista on the other side. Having been raised to be polite, I won't say what I call that side. I have an HP LaserJet 4100 as my workhorse black-and-white printer, an HP Photosmart 8450 to print photos, an HP ScanJet 4070 scanner, and a Maxtor external drive attached to a USB hub. Although everything seemed to work together quite well to begin with, recently I've been having constant problems with my USB devices. Since they work reliably on the Mac side, this has to be a Windows problem in my case. I noticed that the problem frequently occurred after the computer had gone to sleep and been awakened, so I turned off "sleep" and that seemed to help, but it didn't cure the problem completely. I still have trouble sometimes after I've re-started the Windows side. I have read all of the posts on this topic and tried your suggestions. For what it's worth, the only thing that seems to work reliably for me is:

1. Shut everything down.

2. Cut the power to all devices (which I do by shutting off the battery back-up to which all of my devices are connected, but unplugging them also works).

3. Disconnect the USB hub from the back of the computer.

4. Wait a minute or so, and then turn the power back on.

5. Re-start Windows, and WAIT until it is completely operational. I find that this is a good time to spend a minute or two contemplating the utter injustice of having spent good money to acquire the hunk of junk that is Vista.

6. Cross your fingers, and plug the USB hub back in.

This seems to reset everything that needs to be reset after Vista does whatever damage it does. I hope it helps someone else. If any of you who know more than I do can figure this out and come up with a way to prevent this problem entirely, my blessings on you and all of your descendants.

Hi everyone,

Seems this problem has hit me. I came home on Saturday to find my screen frozen. After a hard boot my external HDD was coming up not recognised.

Tried all of the remedies, turned off for hours, restacked the USBs, etc. with no luck. Now here's the thing - all my USB ports work at USB 1.1, just not with my HDD which is USB 2.0.

If I plug the HDD into the front port I get the message "this device will perform faster in a USB 2.0 port", but it does work. Unfortunately, I don't have the years necessary to transfer hundreds of gigs of data at USB 1.1 speed.

Any ideas how I can make USB 2.0 work again or do I just have to buy a new PC?

Regards,

Antony

I have a PC running XP, 3.0 Ghz P4P800-SE with 2Gb RAM

I believe I may be entitled to a 5th of tequila from every XP user who reads this post...hee hee.

The problem with the "USB device not recognized" error lies with one or both of the following security updates from Microsoft:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261)*

Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749)

When I uninstalled both of these updates, my usb drive started working again. I put an asterik by the 261 update because you maybe able to get functionality back just by uninstalling that one update.

To uninstall the update, go to Control Panel and access "Add or Remove Programs." Once your pop-up populates, check the "Show Updates" box at the top of the window. Scroll down the list and find Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261) and

Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749). Uninstall one, then try your usb device. If it doesn't work, uninstall the other one.

Good luck!

Okay this morning my external drive just suddenly wasn't recognized any more. I recvd the messages just as above. An unknown device is not recognized. Malfunction. I did the key entry but so far it has not helped.

I'm at a loss.

Inspirion 531

Amd Dual core processor

3070 Mem

32 bit OS

Man I'm scared I won't be able to access it.

Ok. I too have had major issues with my HP with Vista Home Premium. At first, I was having the problem of the computer doing a hard-shut off by itself. After many hours on the phone to HP, they decided it needed some work. I mailed it in, and within a week I received it back with a new motherboard. Everything was fine for 3 days. I then started receiving the "USB Device Not Recognized" error message. My only USB device was my HP printer. So, after many more hours on the phone to HP, it was determined my printer was the culprit. I was sent a replacement printer the next day. However, that too triggered a "USB Device Not Recognized" message. Figuring that the problem might be with the HP printers, I went and bought a different brand of printer. This too brought the same messenger of nonrecognition. After approx. 20 hours on the phone with HP about this, I am giving up. They keep telling me they'll call me back, and they never do. Please help me! If you have any advice, I'm willing to listen. P.S. I have also disabled the Legacy USB, and done several sysytem recoveries. Thank you.

I have struggled with the same problem for six hours. An HP printer would systematically give me "USB device not recognized..." as soon as I plugged the USB cable in ANY port. None of the other peripherals would do that. The printer is a reliable piece of hardware, however we have several of those in this compund so I replace the printer. Same problem. Logic told me it could only be the cable.

So I changed the USB cable for a new one and.... BINGO !! that was the definite solution.

So change the USB cable. Maybe this solution works for others. Good luck

USB Hell, I'm using a HP DV8000 runs XP, was using 3 of the four USB ports, worked great for the past year or so, never a single problem, even use the 4th usb daily but unplug that one mostly (IPOD / Flash drive) the other three run a WD 250 Externalhard drive (s) and a Tascam 122 audio interface unit and a RocketFish usb mouse. All worked flawlessly until yesterday. I was listening to music outside

my house listening to online material, run from its webpage to my interface via usb on to my stereo components, which I do often without a single problem. Noticed the music stopped thinking it was

The normal website chatter disconnects which does happen occasionally, refresh and normally it does the trick, up and running. But not this time, USB D N R an usb device has malfunctioned etc... That is where I am and where I found myself setting up this account in hope of a little extra insight from you the forum readers...so let's see what the hell is going on here. Already checked the units they all work fine when attached to any of my other laptops / pc/s so...NEXT... I've just run the battery down, unplugged the power source and let sit for about 15 minutes in hope of the before mentioned ( in postings ) to allow the over voltage to bleed down provided this is even a possibility to start with. Okay ready to set system back up for try #1, reboot ( go or no go) Hmmm! well no go people, NEXT!!! Let me hear from you! Thanks

Me again, I can only come up with some sort of hardware failure which leads me to believe this is a mother F board failure at the USB chipset due from an over voltage problem much like a lightning strike causes household appliances to react poorly too! In some cases it fries them as it did many of mine about two years ago, a tv two amps and so on, all due to a power surge on very low voltage components, such as the 5 volt USB out put, although you would think it was a freaking matter of national security seeing you can't find zip on MS , HP websites concerning this matter, with little to no real fix on this subject posted anywhere that works 100% of the time. It does however work well for their sales figures seeing most will in time simply purchase a new PC so they can use their USB devices, nice work MS. Why fix what in the end spells big bucks here, millions to say the least.

Now since MS created the OS and HP purchased it and we paid them both, as well as anyone else using this system, it's time to go to the root, that is who the hell made the boards that this crap is running on? Apparently there is a reason why you see more and more PC's being built with less USB ports and more powered USB devices, they are apparently faulty thus they are causing US a number of problems to say the least. Let's post what we can find out collectively, about what is being put into our PC that simply doesn't work as it should and let the companies know that we know what's going and and they MUST fix it, NOW! It isn't hard these days to send and email or post a blog about anyone saying anything you wish, within reason of coarse, so provided you have legitimate complaints, let's do some serious complaining and get this ball rolling. I've waited a day of my time and that's more then I wish to waste, period! Thanks, I'm listening,

Last one, my laptop is HP DV8000, purchased F/Best Buy Dec 2006, Running XP, system never leaves home, stays stationary 100% of the time, used to run audio equipment 90% of the time, web surf and watch videos, no games or high volume programs running to overload system. System normally runs great very fast and very reliable, problem USB ports (4) no longer recognize any usb devices! Can send audio video via wireless to other remore devices (Wireless USB HUB, PSP.S3, other laptops and desktops, no problems. USB ... Not working YET. Will watch for your replies, thanks, hope we can resolve the issue soon! For GOOD this time! I'll post as soon as system is repaired 1000%. Thanks for listening!

By the way, this isn't a USB cable problem or a vista problem or a device problem, it is a OS problem that I believe has to do with the low voltage (A Polyfuse (sometimes green in color, and located near where the port is),

is a protection device used on the motherboard. If the Belkin tried to push +5V

up into the motherboard, the difference in voltages, across the low resistance

of the wiring, could result in a relatively large current flow. That could

cause the Polyfuse on the motherboard to open. The Polyfuse will recover

automatically, once it has had a chance to cool off. Which is why I'd suggest

checking the hub, to see if it is emitting +5V on the upstream port.) as read on another thread, I think this guy is onto something...what do you all think?