Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sinluan

DVD Player Blues

Running an XP Pro OS and all of a sudden my dvd-rom is not producing any video. Sound comes through just fine but no picture, nothing but a plain green then blue screen when asked to play a disc. Device Manager says everything's in order and player is still set for region 1. Since I had just recently upgraded my PS and had temporarily unplugged the optical cable, I opened the box and made certain that the connections were solid. I'm thinking that perhaps the unit, an ASUS DVD-E616P, has just gone belly-up.

I forgot to mention that the drive still plays cd's flawlessly whether they are games, music or data.

Try reinstalling the DVD Player software, maybe the codec is missing or needs fixing. Remember XP does not come with a DVD Player or codec by default.

I installed some new dvd software (Power DVD) with the same results as I had gotten from WinDVD & the Interactual Player. I called TS at ASUS and after inquiring about the chipset drivers - I had just installed the latest VIA 4-in-1 package - said it was RMA status, essentially that it was toast. Since I'd been using it for three years or more I suppose I'd gotten my money's worth, eh? Thanks for trying to help all the same. You guys are the greatest at accurately prescribing a fix for whatever ails a comp!

Well, here in the states DVD-RW drives are pretty darn cheap, yes 3 years is more then your monies worth at this point wink