Compatible Support Forums
knicknack1

Windows Media Player - can't make useable back ups

In the past I was able to RIP and make a back up copy of my audio CD's to play on my CD player using Windows Media Player - now I can't ... I changed the RIP format to MP3 from Miscrosoft Windows Media Audio but I still get a TOC (assume this means Table of Contents) error on my CD...

Any Ideas of what is happening?

Thanks in Advance

Did you notice this happening after you upgraded to Windows Media Player 10? The later versions of Windows Media Player do not allow for protected content to be burned to a CD. Older versions allowed the buring of protected content, but this changed as Microsoft tried to aggressively prevent digital music pirating (now, you have to go out of your way to do this, so you are assuming the risk; stupid, but a good tactic as ignorance is no longer an excuse). This could be a reason as to why you are receiving this error. There are settings in the Options windows which allow you to disable content protection.

There are other programs out there which can burn to MP3 format without having to worry about this feature, namely MusicMatch Jukebox. I have an older version which works fine, but I'm not sure how the newer versions work. Regardless, you should be able to tweak the Windows Media Player ripping settings to allow you to do what you are inquiring about.

Yes I am running version 10 -- looked at options and can't find anything that relate to content protection -- can you provide more specific direction on this ?

Got to love MSFT protecting everyone -- wonder if they still are including spyware in their systems or if they finally took it out .

dude u can do a search for wmafuk.exe its supposed to be able to remove the protection... but legally ur only allowed to use it for your songs! not someone elses!!!

Thanks Stranger... just want to make extra copy of my CD's for use in cars rather than have to use the original ones from the hosue.

Tried searching for wmafuk --- it couldn't be found...