Compatible Support Forums
ataxia1

Certain USB devices not recognized

I work at an organization that pushes down master images for workstations. We then customize them for our particular portion of the company and push them down to our users.

Problem 1: The latest image we received only allows certain brands of removable storage devices. Most PNY and SanDisk seem to work fine. Plug in just about any other brand and XP doesn't even indicate a device is in the machine.

Problem 2: If by chance a device does work, it won't receive a drive letter or appear in your "My Computer" list. You have to click Control Panel > Portable Media Devices to access it.

FYI: Hardware--Dell D620 notebooks. With the factory image, everything worked perfectly.

I've never seen either of these two issues before.

Any ideas how the "higher ups" locked that down?

Any idea how to undo it? Can't find anything in GPO controlling this. No custom Administrative templates are installed. Probably somewhere in the registry, but where...

Thanks!

First off, how long have you had the machine? Some of the older Dell models sometimes have problems with USB storage devices. If it is not compatible with USB 2.0 devices, then that's probably your answer.

Secondly, since some devices are working just fine in your USB ports, the ports can't be fried (very good thing), although there might be some damage to the ports if you don't properly remove the devices by using the "Safely remove USB device" option on the taskbar.

After inserting a USB storage device, see if you can manually detect and install the hardware. To do so, go into the control panel and use Add Hardware. I've had to do this with some of the devices. A real pain in the neck, but it might help you out some.