Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Myke

How to open up a TCP port on Windows 98 SE?

I have a Windows 98 SE machine on my network which we cannot upgrade to XP at the moment, but that is outside of this issue. We recently changed domain controllers and have delegated it to be the primary server for our SAV system. All clients were successfully moved from under the old server to under the new server (in other words, being managed by), with the exception of this one machine: the Windows 98 SE machine. It keeps saying that the machine is not connected to the network, despite the fact that (1) it is, and (2) you can still view the log files from the SSC (Symantec System Center) Console.

I know that in order to get full functionality out of SAV, TCP port 2967 must be open, as well as File and Print sharing to be allowed. Unfortunately, I cannot remember for the life of me how to open up a TCP port on a Windows 98 SE machine for an indefinite time period.

Technically, I could just uninstall and then reinstall, but we're having some issues with networking protocols since the domain controller migration and only certain machines can see or be seen on the network. Also, I just don't want to uninstall to begin with; it's annoying. Any tips would be great. Thanks in advance.

I think that I may have found a work-around for this. Apparently, there is an option in the Symantec System Center console which allows the server to manage a legacy system. Installing this option requires a reboot, so we'll see if that works, although I'm still curious as to how to open up a port in Windows 98.

Windows 98 does not come with a Firewall, unless you install one.

By default, all ports are open (1-65535) if a service is running to listen on that port (which is configured for that service) and if a firewall is installed, then you can allow it through by configuring the TCP ports in the firewall program.

• Sad 1