Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
khalid1977

i don't have dvd and i need to install this linux

I have linux FC5 , on DVD and i don't have DVD , can any one help me how do i install linux on my PC throgh the hard disk , by this version i have and only by it ........ please

Not to be sounding cold, why not just go out and purchase a new DVD reader and/or a DVD-RW optical drive, they are dirt cheap, less then $50(USD) for a DVD-RW model and less then $30(USD) for a reader wink

jmmijo makes a good point, especially since you may need the DVD drive to install another Linux flavor in the future.

I do have to as, since you do not have a DVD player or writer on your system, does your system comply with the hardware requirements for Fedora Core 5? Best to know this before attempting an installation.

You can install Fedora from the hard drive by downloading the full set of ISO images to a unique partition (not where you are installing Fedora to), then burn the first iso file on a CD which will allow you to boot into the installation interface and pick the iso files on the hard drive to install from. This partition can be either a Linux partition, or fat32 partiton.

The main point here is that you need to have a way to boot to the images on the hard drive to start the installation process.

I do remember some time ago doing what you are asking about with an installation of Linspire. I copied all the files (the directory structure intact) from the CD with Linspire, then was able to use Grub from another installation of Linux to initiate the installation process and use the files on the hard drive for the same.

I don't know how this can be accomplished in Fedora. All I have read on these methods involves using the raw iso images. I Googled as bit but found nothing about this involving Fedora.