Compatible Support Forums
DosFreak

Windows Defender + Windows 2000

Experiencing the same behavior with an XP desktop at work and one of my users called me today about his XP laptop.

Great MS, first we had the Beta 2 ver of Defender erroring out on bootup and now definitions don't install. Sigh.

I'd say the best fix is to uninstall this POS program......

Pretty strange.

About a week ago I disabled the "automatic" feature of the updates then tried a few times again to manually download and install the definition update - and had no luck (installation failed).

A week or so later I tried the manual update attempt from Defender again - but this time it installed as it should have. So now things appear to be functional.

I just tried this on the latest version of Defender and it still works.

Installed and downloaded the definitions and it's scanning.

More and more on XP/Vista (and I guess 2000 desktops as well although I don't use them that often).

I've been having to perform the following steps whenever Defender does not want to download definitions:

Start/Run/CMD

Surf to the Windows Defender directory in Program Files

type in MPCMDRUN -RemoveDefinitions -All

Net stop "Windows Defender"

Net start "Windows Defender"

Go to Windows Update and download the definitions. (Doing it through Defender the first time doesn't seem to work).

I just installed the latest Defender on 2000 and suprisingly it immediately downloaded the updates after install. Amazing.

Tried this last week and the modification and installation worked perfectly. Defender updated the definitions automatically and a full scan went without a hitch using the definitions of 18/7. Updayed today with definitions of 24/7, but now I can only carry out a quick scan- a full scan stops after a few minutes and I get a warning with code 0x8050800c. Rebooted- same result........... Ran Norton's Win Doctor, defragged......... still the same result. Full scans on XP using the same definitions worked flawlessly.

Hmmm, make sure your running the latest ver of Defender and check you event log for the error. It may show the file it gets hung up on.

IIRC, the quick scan only checks a few locations whereas the full scan scans the entire disk so there may be a file that's locked and it cannot scan.

Despite several cleanups, Defender updates etc I still get hangups when running a full scan. This file is the culprit:

HKCU@S-1-5-21-861567501-1993962763-839522115-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\elitemediagroup.net

Have been unable to find it with regedit, though.

Well despite the OP being in 2006 this still works as I have just got Defender back up and running - belated thanks DosFreak.

heh. You can thank MS for that. They haven't done any development on Defender for a long time and probably never will. I'm guessing their OneCare service is the replacement.

I still leave Defender enable on my systems but it's probably not worth the cycles and memory it takes up.

Hello i read your article on installing windows defender on windows 2000 i followed your instructions but i can't

install windows defender can you tell is there any thing else i may need to install windows defender thanks.

Dear DosFreak,

Installing Windows Defender on Windows 2000, having edited the .msi in Orca and moved gdiplus.dll where it should, (and updated Windows Installer to 3.1), I got the following error when the installer was about to "Copy New Files" (meaning that launching the installer, vali[censored] and chosing setup options worked):

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2356."

Can you help?

Ive been using Windows Defender plus free MalwareyBytes since I switched to Windows 10 in July, and I had been using the same combination on Windows 8.1 before. Never had a single infection but Im very cautious when browsing.