Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigfella1998

HP 3100 printer sharing on home network

I inherited a HP Laserjet 3100 and cannot get it to work on my home network. It works fine from the PC to which it is directly connected. The operating system of that PC is Windows Me.

I have two laptops running Windows XP; they are connected to the network via a Linksys wireless access point.

The laptops see the printer but when I try to connect I have no luck. In fact the printer has to be reinstalled on the local PC after I try to print a test page from either laptop.

Any thoughts? Other than buying a new printer.

Thanks,

Mike

Downingtown, PA

HP has some peculiar drivers. You might want to go to their site and see if you can find the most recent drivers. Sometimes, you have to install the driver as a network driver designating the computer it is attached to as the "server", sometimes you have to give it the IP address, and sometimes you have to install the HP drivers on the networked computers directly.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, you cannot download any drivers for this printer and I have the original CD, which is what they suggest I use. Lovely.

I will try re-installing and see if there is an option to designate the PC as a "server."

As my laptop is an XP and the "server" is running Me, should I load the Me drivers on the XP laptop, if possible?

Again, thank you for your help.