Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ghostwo

Converting a VAIO Laptop Fedora Core 6.

Summary: I am attempting to convert a five year old Sony VAIO PCG-F590K from Windows XP to Fedora Core 6. These are the specs I copied prior to wiping the hard-drive. This machine is to run linux as a single boot system:

VAIO

+Batteries

-Microsoft AC Adapter

-Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

-Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

+Computer

-Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

+Disk Drives

-IBM-DARA-218000

*18 Gb

+Display Adapters

-NeoMagic Corp NM2380 MagicGraph256XL+

*Bus type: AGP

*Memory: 5MB

+DVD Drive

-TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2402

+Human Interface Devices

-Sony Notebook Control Device

-Sony Programmable I/O Control Device

+IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

-Intel® 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master EIDE Controller

-Primary IDE Channel

-Secondary IDE Channel

+IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers

-Sony CXD3222 OHCI i.LINK(IEEE 1394) PCI Host Controller

+Infrared Devices

-IrDA Fast Infrared Port

+Modems

-Generic SoftK56

+Network adapters

-1394 Net Adapter

-Sony i.LINK(1394) Adapter

+PCMCIA adapters

-Ricoh R/RL/RB/5C478(II), R5C522 or Compatible CardBus Controller

(x2)

+Mainboard

-Sony Corporation PCG-F590K(UC)

-Chipset: Intel i440BX/ZX

+Processors

-Intel® Pentium®III E processor

*600 MHz

*Support: MMC-1/MMC-2

*L1 Cache 32KB

*L2 Cache 256KB

+RAM

-(2x)128MB SDRAM, 1 empty slot

-128MB max/slot

+USB Controllers

Intel® 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

After a seemingly non-stop uphill battle, I finally got Fedora Core 6 installed, choosing the GNOME environment. I also installed most of the components, with the exception of the 'Server' packages. So far the video, ram, hard-drive, and mouse pad work fine. However, there are several important features which are just bugged:

*When the lid is closed, the screen stays on, instead of turning off. I tried changing the settings appropriately, but to no avail. The 'Monitor' is set to 'Generic LCD', and I don't know what to choose instead.

*The laptop has two batteries, which both show up. The problem is that the estimated time remaining fluctuates a great deal, even over short periods of time (e.g. 20 min left to 5 hours to 3:20, etc). I suspect that this is caused by poor ACPI detection, but I don't know for sure.

*none of the 'fn keys' work at all. This one is kind of expected, but I don't have the slighted idea what to do about it.

***Now here is the most pressing problem. I am new to linux. This is my first 'linux-box'. I am very skilled with with almost all aspects of the windows environment, but with linux, I am just an 'enlightened beginner'. So I barely know how to do even the most routine tasks. I know how to use the console to an extent, but I only know how to move around/read directories, and my prior windows/programming exp. lets me know about command lines, but that is all. Things like file systems, installation, and the directory structure are completely alien to me. These things have all compounded, and have made the following problem much more complex. Here goes:

I need to get the computer online via a WiFi connection. The network already exists, but the laptop needs a WiFi card, and the only one I have is a LinkSys WPC54G v3. I bought it for this purpose, and there is no way I can return it. Of course there aren't any linux drivers for it, and I've found that a program called NdisWrapper *should* be able to help. The problem is that I am unable (and don't know how) to install it. I first found a tar.gz file from the sourceforge site and decompressed it, but couldn't make it work because the install directions needed a 'link to the kernel source from the modules directory'. This makes no sense to me. I then looked for more info, and found a compatible install package called ndiswrapper-1.27-5.fc6.at.i386.rpm. When I ran it, it needed a internet connection to work, which of course I don't have. What I need are step-by-step directions (or a source that does) on how to make my card work on FC6 without internet access, and a 980 Mb flash drive to transfer files. Thank you.